New In Town, Need Some Help Please!

May 6, 2016
Jacksonville, FL
Just found the group today & so glad I did! We bought our new house last October with an inbound pool, this is a first for us as we’ve never had a house with a pool. I think I’m past the learning curve with the chemicals as I get the water tested weekly & it’s usually pretty good.

Problem I’m having is with cloudiness. We had some plaster work done last month & it was a little dusty & cloudy for a week then seemed to clear up. Well we finally swam in it last weekend for the first time & that night it was super cloudy like can’t even see the bottom. So everyday this past week I brush it in the morning & brush it in the evening & add a polymer clarifier to no avail. When I come home it looks a little better then start brushing and looks like big white plumes erupting up like as volcano. Is this normal as we swim more the plaster gets kicked up? Should they have acid washed it before adding water? Pretty sure they did not do it.

Any help of tips you can give? I’m so frustrated I’m ready to drain it fill it with sand & make a giant sand box lol.

Phil

You make no mention of "how much" plaster work was done and how the new plaster was treated while it was in the curing process...(it still IS btw). Brushing, circulating, filter cleaning, and PH maintenance is all part of the process. Welcome.

Welcome to TFP!

Tell us about your pool and equipment by adding it to your signature as shown here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

More on plaster start up here, Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Generally, you need to brush daily and run your filter 24x7 the first couple of weeks until the plaster dust settles down. This will require regular filter cleaning/backwashing depending on what kind of filter you have. Run the pump on low speed if it is a 2 speed pump or at a low RPM if it is a VS pump.

We are not in favor of weekly trips to the pool store. Here is how we maintain pools, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.