Happy to be here officially!

My husband and I bought a home in 2001 which had a gunite pool built in 1979 that was in a little scary. Missing tile, old plaster which had been painted with epoxy for years. We immediately retained a small pool service which gave us directions on replacing tile, acid cleaning, painting again, and helped up get this thing going. It is a large mountain lake design pool, 28,000 gallons. We used the chlorine tab dispenser for years. We have replaced the sand filter, pump, and had the upper plumbing reworked. Painted two times. In 2009 we added a pentair salt generator. It was placed immediately after a sparkling paint job. It worked amazingly for three years or so and then started having problems. In 2014 we again worked on the pool. Rebuilt some of the cracked coping stones, tired to repair cracking concrete and cool seal areas, and the removed and replaced the expansion joint sealant. We researched paint and chose to use ultraguard coating. The salt generator worked for most of the summer. The salt generator blew out, literally. A pin at the connection was missing. We at that point added chlorine tabs. 2015 the light at some point became loose and we replaced the top screw (tab broke) with a screw wedge repair. We started out with a chlorine tab feeder and soon enough the CYA built up to 80. Green pool. TFP was a site I was reading for two years and decided we would get all out information on solving problems from it. We were able to get everything straighted out and pool was blue again last year. We cover our pool with a safety cover in the winter. This year we removed the cover and discovered the light had a nasty rust stain under the light. We removed the light only to discover the light ring at bottom tab is black and rusty. The light niche bottom edge at tab and pool is rusty. We do remember before we found the wedge screw repair there was a slight ground voltage while touching the stainless steel deep end grab rails and light ring. We had it measured by our engineer son who determined it was ground voltage, not enough to kill you but needed to be addressed. After the light wedge screw was secured, this slight voltage was gone.

With all the little electrical problems we are now faced with yet another issue. We have the original pool company that built it coming over next week to check on the light. Upon reading about a salt water generator and the neeed for bonding, we inspected the salt water generator electrical box (we removed the main wires only) we do not see any additional wire used to bond. The only wire we see is one coming down from the main electrical box to the ground.

Any ideas what the pool construction company will tell us? I have a terrible feeling that they will want to replace the niche which I understand is a major repair. Any comments will be appreciated. I am sorry for the long post.

Deb

Deb, Welcome to TFP :)

OK, yes you have an issue, No bonding, as your son I am sure has told you can be very dangerous... There is no easy way to accomplish it after your pool is built but it can be done...

Bonding is not grounding, they are 2 different things, you "bond" everything together... this includes your pool shell, decking, lights, the niche, ladders, pool pump, SWG, heater, and any other equipment within 5 feet of the pool...

See what the pool company tells you and get an itemized quote, then get 2 other companies to do the same so you can see what prices they want and what exactly each company will do... if any one of the companies tell you bonding and grounding are the same thing run away....

Here is a link for you
Pool School - Bonding vs Grounding

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.