Clueless and need help!

May 6, 2016
Oneonta/AL
Hey! I have an above ground salt water with sand pump pool. It has 3400 gal of water. According to my salt pump I have finally gotten my salt level where it needs to be, however, I have no clue how to test and balance this pool. We have had the pool for 2 years going on 3, and I always have the same problem.... It turns green and stays that way for a couple months before it finally clears up. This year was worse because my pump had a leak at the end of the season last year and (I being stupid) did not close it properly because I could not run my pumps. So now I have my pumps fixed and working but basically had a swamp for a pool. I have dipped out around 10 gallons of pure algae from the top of my pool since the 1st of April. I have put about 3x the normal shock-it shock (from Wal-Mart) in the pool and it is still green, although I have to say it is not as dark green as it was when I first started dipping. I ran my salt pump last night for 12 hours. It now looks like I have poured bubbles in it. Please HELP! I do not have a test kit and have no clue what kind or even how to test a pool. I am so tired of fighting this pool though! Thanks in advance to any and all help and information!

First step - get a test kit. Dumping random chemicals in without understanding what exactly your levels are will get you nowhere (and waste a LOT of your hard earned money)! Edit - Don't get test strips, or the little kit at the store, definitely get either the K-2006 or TF-100 at the site linked below - only these two kits are going to get you the numbers you need to make this problem go away.

TFTestkits.net

Personally, I'd recommend the TF-100 and a Speed-Stir. Get the XL version since you apparently have a swamp. Once you've gotten that, folks here can look at your results from testing and give you the exact steps (and chemical amounts) you need to get that pool sparkling again!

Let's clarify: You have a sand filter. You have a POOL pump You have a salt water generator (SWG). Ditch the strips and turn off the SWG. What you need is plane jane liquid bleach. GET one of our recommended test kits---PLEEZE! Spend some time in Pool School learning how to SLAM your pool until your kit arrives and you find a good bleach sale. At least get some pool store results and post up for us. Fix any PH problems first. Welcome!

Thats my girl! Proud of you, and you will not regret coming here. They kept me from filling ours in! April, before someone else tells you to, edit your signature in your profile settings with as much info on your pool as possible, down to the water that goes in.. (you are well water, correct?)

If you need help, LMK and I will come to your office lol

- - - Updated - - -

Guys, doesnt she need the salt test as well as the TF-100?

And April, make sure you get the speed stir and XL option. I will help you understand how to test properly when you get it. The kids are going to love watching it

Welcome to TFP, we can get you going :)

Your in good hands now...

I think you are in new york so your water is probably still pretty cold, that is a good thing.. until your test kit arrives pour 1/2 gallon of regular walmart bleach 8.5% in and run the pump 24/7 until your pool is nice and pretty :)

Once your test kit arrives post your numbers up and we will get you on your way...

Post up some pictures, we love some pictures here :)

Welcome to TFP!

While you are waiting for your test kit add your state to your location in your profile so it shows up over there <-----, climate is important when we are helping you with your pool. Also add your pool info to your signature so that we know what kind of pool and equipment we are helping you with, different equipment needs different care. More here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

She has printed SLAM process, and I showed her poolmath. I also told her to get the 10% liquid chlorine because it is cheaper than the 8.25% walmart bleach

- - - Updated - - -

She is my co-worker BTW, I have been trying to get her to come here since I found you guys last year lol

Thank you all! I updated my state and added a signature. I put as much info in my signature that I know and will be looking up and adding more as I receive it. Thanks again! How often do I need to add a half gallon liquid chlorine until my test kit arrives?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, now that we know who you hang out with we might have a different answer! :)

Because your pool is only 3400 gallons you only need to add about 16oz of chlorine per day. Or 8 oz in AM and 8 oz in PM.

At the bottom of pool math is a calculator. Use a tape measure to measure across the width of the pool, plug that value into PoolMath, select "Round", add the average depth, and calculate and it will tell you the rough amount of water in the pool.

Thanks triptyx! I will measure and use the pool math calculator tonight before I put anything in it.

Please don't punish me for who I hang out with pooldv! LOL DontFillitin has actually helped me a lot by telling me about you all!

Thanks again for ALL the help!!

My test Kit came in and Gary helped me test my CYA, Chlorine, and Ph. CYA=0 Chlorine=0 Ph= 8.3 or higher. What do I do now? Gary mentioned stabilizer and Ph Down(?)... How much of those? We couldn't find it in Pool School. I am still adding 8oz of Chlorine in the am and pm. Thanks in advance!

Stabilizer is CYA, to lower pH you use muriatic acid. At the top of this page is a button for Pool Math. Plug your numbers in there and it will tell you what to add, and how much. Be sure you set the settings at the bottom for troublefreepool, swg, and vinyl.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.