Soft Swim conversion Questions...

30ag

May 6, 2009
Lincoln, NE
Hello everyone,

New to the forum and I am glad I found it. :p I have been scanning through the message boards for a week since I came across it. Heres a little back round info before I start with the questions. I put my new pool up in spring of 2007. I was sucked in to soft swim by the swim store guy :whip: from the beginnig. First year went great (except for the empty wallet at the end of the season). Second year(another empty wallet) cloudy water and pink slime!! Brings us to now begining of 3rd season. I am going to convert but have not started yet, winter cover is still on. I ordered a Taylor k-2006 (not here yet). I am going to buy some bleach this after noon. Does anyone know how many gallons of bleach I might need? I see from the pool calculator to raise my FC from 0 to 15 I need 5 gallons 1 quart or 3.6 (182 oz) jugs of 6% chlorox but not sure how many times I will have to add more to keep the level up. I know there are alot of variables to consider but just trying to get a rough idea since I live about 30 miles from the nerest place that sells bleach. I do not have any test results since I don't have my kit yet and my cover is still on. I apreciate any help and I am sure I will have many more questions once I get started ( hopefully ths Friday) and yes I will take pictures and post them. Thanks :-D

Welcome to TFP!

It is difficult to guess at the total amount of bleach you will need, it depends on a large number of factors, only some of which are easy to figure out in advance. Previous conversions have used anywhere from 10 to 150 gallons of 6% bleach. Since you have to pick some number, I suggest getting about 40 gallons of bleach.

Feel free to ask more questions. Also, we love to see pictures!

Thanks Jason for your quick response. One more question that came up as I was reading another post. I have a solar cover and my pool has full sun all day long. Should I use the solar cover during my conversion process or leave it off until it is complete? I am not concernd about temp and I would rather not use it during the conversion. Also I have solar panels that I stored in the garge for the winter should I hook them up before I start the conversion or can I just wait until I am finished ?

I suggest leaving both the solar cover and the solar panels off until the conversion is nearly complete. As soon as you have added CYA, you should get both of them out and setup and exposed to the high chlorine levels to clean off any small amounts of Soft Swim residue that might be on them.

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

If you can find 10-12.5% gallon jugs of liquid chlorine at your local pool store for around $3.00 a gallon that is a good price and will mean less jugs to haul around. :wink: Don't tell them why you need so many, they'll try to convince you that you are putting poison in your pool, LOL :roll:

Good luck, hope for a speedy conversion!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.