Rough white areas in deep end of pool

bdleib

Jun 15, 2010
York, PA
I have rough areas in the deep end of my pool. The white areas are very hard. It seems like there is now some algae that has formed in these areas. Does anyone know what causes this and how to get rid of it?

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 47
Thanks for the reply. I don't have any test results. I noticed the white raised areas before I closed the pool for the winter. I swam down and felt that the white spots were raised and very hard. I just removed the winter cover this week and saw that the areas are getting larger.

I would think that if this is algae, the surface would be slippery. The white raised areas are definitely not slippery.

I like all the components shown on your sig under Caribbean Clear System.

That is all but "small amount of copper." --that could be the darkness you are seeing...metal staining.

Hard stuff could be calcium.

But we won't know anything for a fact until some test results are posted.

The "small amount of copper" comes from the Caribbean Clear system. I have had my pool for seven years now (built it myself). Never had any trouble with the pool chemistry, but I kept ruining clothes that were splashed with bleach from WalMart. 2 years ago I switched to a Salt Water Generator system....hated it. Ladder and slide started rusting, electricity bill went thru the roof among other issues. About the same time I noticed these spots starting to develop. I removed the system and went back to the old standby.... These white spots keep getting larger with every year and they are starting to look unsightly.

How can I tell if the spots are calcium, and what can be done about it?

As you have observed calcium scale is a condition that develops slowly over time and gets progressively worse. It is caused by having high CSI over a sustained period causing calcium to deposit in the pool.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling
And here, Langelier and Calcite Saturation Indices (LSI and CSI)

You can sand the scale with wet dry sand paper to smooth it. EDIT: this only applies to plaster pools. Poolmath will calculate your CSI for you after you enter all your test data. Keeping the CSI aggressively negative -0.5 to -0.6 and brushing as often as you can stand to will slowly reduce the calcium scale. It will be about as slow as it took to to get where you are now, months or years.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.