First test results on new pool!

May 3, 2016
Greenville, SC
I received my TF-100 kit and completed my very first set of tests on our brand new pool.

Results:

CYA - 30
FC - 8.5
CC - .5
TC - 9.0
CH - 225
TA - 50
pH - 6.8

I think I did pretty well for my very first set of tests EVER!! The only one that I am a little unsure of is the TA, as I'm not quite sure what officially constitutes red. I added drops until the sample turned a darkish pink color. So, how red is the red I'm looking for?!?

So, results are in. FC stands out obviously to me based on the CYA of 30. Assume pH is a little low, so what is the next step that I need to take to get this new pool in TFPC tip-top shape??

TA red is like Barbie pink/red, so you are good. Congrats on the first set of YOUR OWN testing. Feels good right? The only thing I would take action on right away is your pH. That's quite low and can be corrosive. Use aeration, borax, or soda ash to raise it to about 7.5. The Poolmath calculator can help. If you have any questions, just let us know. Good work!

I received my TF-100 kit and completed my very first set of tests on our brand new pool.

Results:

CYA - 30
FC - 8.5
CC - .5
TC - 9.0
CH - 225
TA - 50
pH - 6.8

I think I did pretty well for my very first set of tests EVER!! The only one that I am a little unsure of is the TA, as I'm not quite sure what officially constitutes red. I added drops until the sample turned a darkish pink color. So, how red is the red I'm looking for?!?

So, results are in. FC stands out obviously to me based on the CYA of 30. Assume pH is a little low, so what is the next step that I need to take to get this new pool in TFPC tip-top shape??
Add Soda Ash or Borax to raise pH. Soda Ash will also add some TA. If you've got any leftover pool chemicals that came with it, pH up is the same stuff. Also called Soda Ash. By the way, the final color on the TA test is what I call Barbie Pink. The precise shade doesn't matter, as long as you saw it change and the last drop doesn't make any difference.

FC is easy to fix. Wait a day or two, and it'll come down. It's still well below shock level, so after you fix the pH, it's safe to swim in.

You might want to elevate CYA a little as the season goes onward. No rush.

Thanks guys! I think I can manage that for now and see where are in a couple days on the FC.

- - - Updated - - -

Man, Upstate showing out lately! Woo.

pH is too low. Use http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html and get that up. Everything else is fine, TA might be low but just watch what pH does over time, it might be alright.

Water looks good?

Water looks great as of now, just a little bit of what appears to be pollen maybe floating in some places. I certainly need to clean some stuff off the bottom of the pool.

The only one that I am a little unsure of is the TA, as I'm not quite sure what officially constitutes red. I added drops until the sample turned a darkish pink color. So, how red is the red I'm looking for?!?

My TA is currently 80. At 60 it is pink, by 70 it turns hot pink, but by 80 it is BRIGHT HOT PINK! I add yet another drop and if it doesn't get any more BRIGHT HOT PINK I know I'm done and I subtract that last drop from my count.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.