Air and bubbles with some sputtering coming from all three of my return jets?

Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
I mentioned this in another post, but I'm still trying to figure this out. Starting about a week ago, I noticed some bubbles and air coming from my return jets (like they were sputtering). The only reason I really noticed it is because I switched the valves to put the return water to only my spa (overflow) and the three pool returns which increased the pressure a pretty good bit to the pool returns especially, previously I have the majority going to my two waterfalls (50%), spa (35%), and pool return jets (15%). Ever since I turned off the waterfalls and increase the return output of my jets, I noticed the air bubbles and sputtering. I put the waterfalls back on today, and since the pool return pressure went down, I didn't notice it. I've check o-ring and unions on both side of salt cell. I checked the gasket on the lid of the pump basket and it appears to be on there good. Not really sure what else to do or check? Any ideas? Will it cause any problems, beings air is getting in it from somewheres obviously? The pump basket primes up fine, and water flow/pressure through salt cell is really good, so I'm just confused as to where it's coming from. I'm trying to not have to pay an arm and leg for a pool guy to come check out what may be an easy fix. Also, water level at sklimmer is good so it's not coming from there either.

It would seem logical that you would notice air bubbles and sputtering from the return jets underwater as opposed to the waterfall or spa. But the culprit has to be on the suction side somewhere to be getting that much air pulled-in. So other than simply adjusting water flow (output), you've done no other maintenance? Is it possible this has been a long-standing issue, but you only just realized it by adjusting more flow to the returns? Any changes in the amount of air trapped within the sand filter?

It would seem logical that you would notice air bubbles and sputtering from the return jets underwater as opposed to the waterfall or spa. But the culprit has to be on the suction side somewhere to be getting that much air pulled-in. So other than simply adjusting water flow (output), you've done no other maintenance? Is it possible this has been a long-standing issue, but you only just realized it by adjusting more flow to the returns? Any changes in the amount of air trapped within the sand filter?

Filter pressure is a 20 right now as of today. I DID play with the air relief valve on the filter once or twice and I can't remember if the pump was running or not. Maybe I trapped some air in there without knowing?Could trapped air in the filter be the cause? The weird thing is that the water flow through the system is really good and the pump basket catches a good prime (few bubbles at the top though). The pump should be turned off when I open the air relief valve right? Also, I just leave it open until I see water shooting out then close it right? Just want to make sure I'm doing this right. Other than the routine maintenance of cleaning the pump basket, backwashing, rinsing, and wasting, the only other thing I did was change the salt cell out. I also permanently removed my old Polaris from my pressure return line and cutoff power to my booster pump because I replaced it with a Dolphin. It very well could have been a long standing issue that I only noticed since I just recently adjusted the valves increasing pressure to return jets.

You want the pump running when you "burp" the air out. Then close it once all the air escapes. Aside from that, the air relief valve should not be the issue. Air getting into the system can be extremely frustrating to find since it doesn't take much. Even though you have checked the basics, I wouldn't be too quick to rule-out some of those areas. Try the slow water flow test (running over each fitting or item), maybe even a bit of shaving cream. I don't have a lot of experience with SWGs, and while they are known to put-out some small bubbles, your situation sounds like more than just tiny champagne-size bubbles.

Hi CajunGuy,

I had the same problem with my return jets on my pool. I finally took the jets off that are in the pool and low and behold, I had a coin the size of a 50 cent piece in there lol. Could not believe it. Sputtering stopped once it was removed. Don't know how it got in there either lol. Just take them off and look, doesn't hurt to try before you spend money. I started with the one closest to the pump first, got lucky it was the one lol. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.