First numbers this season

Aug 28, 2015
Greenwood Lake , ny
Last year I had a lot of problems with algea at the end of last year and thanks to this forum finally got it near clear when it was time to close it. Just had it opened it couple of days ago and happy to report that it is clear. Just needed to get the debris and git out of the bottom. I also installed a new sand filter (found out old one was undersized). These are the numbers from my TF100 kit today
FC-9.5
CC- 0.0
Total Alkalinity 40
CYA 50
PH 7.2

Any thoughts?
Thanks everyone

Raised my TA to 110 but PH is high (Over 8) Using PH minus to bring down. Pool is very clear. Only problem is I have some brown dust on the bottom at the low end. Every time I vacuum it it's back two days later. It is so fine that if I go near it with the brush it disappears. I was trying to brush it together so I could vacuum to waste real quick. Could this be dead algae? Or is it just pollen?

pH needs to go down. Muriatic acid is cheaper / stronger than "pH down", can find it at Lowes or Home Depot. Avoid the "green" version.

How's the water look?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Brown dust, very fine but still passed your OCLT huh? Probably too cold to get your hands on any of that stuff. Have you tried adding a little DE to your filer to see if that helps? Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

If the DE has no effect, you might find yourself needing to bump-up to SLAM level for a couple days just to see if it effects that dust at all.

Just noticed your FC is low for your CYA Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart For 60 CYA, always target 7, never below 5.
Very good point!

*Skimmer?

I would make sure it's not coming back into the pool somehow. That is a lot of DE, usually a solo cup full is enough for me. As long as you are confident your gauge is good (goes to 0 when pump off, rises slowly over time and is consistently the same post backwash) you should be ok to keep putting it in.

Well live and learn. Before I put another cup in the skimmer I checked the gauge again. Still the same 15 PSI. Than I thought about what Mr. Bruce said about the gauge going to 0 with the pump off. So I turned it off. Went to 0. Turned it back on and boom its 17 PSI. Glad I didn't put anymore in. Vacuumed 3/4 of the pool and system spit the hose attachment off of the Skimmer. Gauge at 26 PSI. Back washed and finished vac. Back washed again. Gauge at 16 PSI. Bet it goes to 15 when it settles down. Pool is cleaner than it's been in years but have the feeling I'm going to have to do D.E. Again. And I think brown stuff is tree pollen.
Thanks for the help. You people are a God send.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.