New to pools!!! First test results are in!

May 2, 2016
Detroit, MI
Hi Everyone,

I am so lucky I found this site, I really wish I had found it sooner.

So I am a first time pool owner, I bought a house with an old IG pool over the winter here in Michigan and we just opened up the pool over the weekend. The previous owners did not do a good job covering the pool before winter and I ended up with a swamp/duck pond in the yard. I hired a local company to open the pool, they took one look and said "we're not saving this, lets get the pumps" and pumped my pool dry, and cleaned it out. I had 18,000 gallons of fresh water delivered by truck and used my hose to fill the rest of the pool.

So now my pump and filter are up and running, and I just got my TF-100 test kit in the mail yesterday. Here are the results from my first set of tests:

FC = 2.5 ppm
CC = .5 ppm
TC = 3 ppm
CH = 150 ppm
TA = 100 ppm
Ph = 7.2
CYA = <20ppm

So it looks like I need to adjust the following...

Raise Ph to 7.5
Raise CYA to 40
Raise FC to ~4-5
Raise CH 250

Just not sure what order to attack these items. Any help would be appreciated.

I know i need to go buy some things, currently as for chemicals...
I have 5 gallons of new pool shock 12.5% chlorine left by the pool company.

I also have left from the previous owner.
A few gallons of Muriatic Acid (Does this go bad of time)
Some misc different types of Ph reducer (shelf life?)
and some Klear Natural Clarifier

Can't wait for it to warm up around here!!! Thanks in advance everyone!!!

Hello ad welcome to TFP! :wave: Wow, you've been doing your reading. :study: Nice job. You have it all about right. As for the order, I would go as follows:
- Start the stabilize now
- Increase FC with regular bleach (or that liquid pool shock - same thing)
- Increase pH now w/ borax
No waiting on those at all; pump running well to mix for at least 15 minutes.
- After that, you can increase CH as needed. Calcium hardness can be raised with calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate. Pool stores will carry either calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate under a variety of names, including Hardness Plus, Balance Pak 300, Calcium Hardness Increaser, etc. Calcium products should be spread across the surface of the deep end of the pool.

The acid should still be good. The pool store pH reducer is basically dry acid, might still be okay if sealed. But muriatic is easiest to work with. I wouldn't plan on using the clarifier.

Congrats on the pool, new water, and hat's-off for learning your way around TFP. :salut:

Hi Everyone,

So I am a first time pool owner, I bought a house with an old IG pool over the winter here in Michigan and we just opened up the pool over the weekend. The previous owners did not do a good job covering the pool before winter and I ended up with a swamp/duck pond in the yard. I hired a local company to open the pool, they took one look and said "we're not saving this, lets get the pumps" and pumped my pool dry, and cleaned it out. I had 18,000 gallons of fresh water delivered by truck and used my hose to fill the rest of the pool.

So now my pump and filter are up and running, and I just got my TF-100 test kit in the mail yesterday. Here are the results from my first set of tests:

FC = 2.5 ppm
CC = .5 ppm
TC = 3 ppm
CH = 150 ppm
TA = 100 ppm
Ph = 7.2
CYA = <20ppm Fresh water will have none, unles they sucked it out of someone else's pool. Consider it zero.

Raise Ph to 7.5
Raise CYA to 40
Raise FC to ~4-5
Raise CH 250

I have 5 gallons of new pool shock 12.5% chlorine left by the pool company. Excellent!

A few gallons of Muriatic Acid (Does this go bad of time) No, but the jugs sometimes get brittle. Handle very carefully.
Some misc different types of Ph reducer (shelf life?) Dry Acid. Keep it dry and it will last for years
and some Klear Natural Clarifier Wait for hazmat collection day and get rid of it

As I see it, pH is in range and TA is high enough that it will rise soon enough. I'd leave pH alone.

You need to target 3 FC for now, with zero CYA. Add enough CYA to get to 40 and consider it there the next day and raise the FC target accordingly.

You can either chlorinate a bit using Cal-hypo, or just add some icemelt to raise CH. I'm sure they sell it where you live. Don't freak out oif the water gets a little cloudy when you add either. It will go away in a day or two. Leaving the pH low might also help minimize this. See Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals for how to add the various chemicals.

Hi Everyone,

FC = 2.5 ppm
CC = .5 ppm
TC = 3 ppm
CH = 150 ppm
TA = 100 ppm
Ph = 7.2
CYA = <20ppm

Raise Ph to 7.5
Raise CYA to 40
Raise FC to ~4-5
Raise CH 250

I have 5 gallons of new pool shock 12.5% chlorine left by the pool company.

A few gallons of Muriatic Acid (Does this go bad of time)
Some misc different types of Ph reducer (shelf life?)
and some Klear Natural Clarifier

Every time I see someone from the Mitten I have to say hello. Lived for a few years Downriver. Not sure how close that is to you. Nice to see Michigan warm enough to open a pool this early. Like you, I'm new to this and lurk when I need good info.

Welcome and Go Blue

Hi again,

Thanks for the help everyone!!!

I added 5 lbs of CYA via multiple white socks. I only have one strainer, so one went in the strainer and the other 2 I tied to my ladder (which is right next to the strainer).

TA was actually lower than I tested (I had the pool store double check my first test results), so I bought their recommended amount of baking soda and added it.

I should be good until tomorrow when I need to add more bleach!

@ Teddy, Hi, yeah it is still a little cool for swimming in MI, but it was a mild winter and nice spring, so I am sure we will be in the water soon. I used to work in Flat Rock, so I am pretty familiar with the Downriver area. Lucky you, you are further south now!!! I want to go south!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.