Brand New Hayward H Series flame orange

Jan 29, 2015
Shrewsbury, PA
Hello,
Just installed a Universal H-Series H250 ASME heater indoor with the positive pressure vent kit. Unit ignites blue for approx 10 seconds then changes to a pinkish orange then to all orange. Everywhere I see, it says blue flame 2-4" tall and use the little glass viewer to see it. However, that glass viewer is so small, how does anyone see anything but color? Looking for information on how to actually view the flame height.

Also, being a new heater, it is burning on outside of unit. I have seen that it may be possible that it will do this. I have it inside a room with fans trying to keep my alarm system from tripping. Is this normal?

Thank you in advance. Aaron

Sorry for the bad choice but you were probably were forced to use, Hayward? So, is this unit vented to the outside and is there a input into the room supply fresh outside air?

As for the LO, sounds like you have a valve partially closed somewhere in the system and you need to open it up more or plumbed incorrectly somewhere.

Yes forced to use this unit. It was mastertemp again or hayward. Tired of mastertemp. The unit vents upward about 5 feet then upward diagonal 2 feet then horizontal 2 feet out the side of the wall. There are 2 louvered windows in the room about. Both are approx 18"x18". Plus right now I have the door to the room open due to the smell and haze.

Sounds like you have a gas issue and possibly a water flow issue. If you have haze in the room then the vent must not be working correctly.

Are you feeling ANY exhaust on the outside?

Oh yes, plenty of exhaust is going outside. Are we saying gas issue as in the factory setting on the heater needs adjusted? It has a 3" line running into the room and then breaks down to 2 1" lines. Has been running pentair heaters for 14 years now.

These units come out of the factory usually with no tampering needed. However, the demand for gas can vary from brand to brand. You would need a manometer to check it out correctly.

Where was the haze in the room coming from?

So, the haze you are talking about is the paint on the outside of the unit burning off?

An orange flame in the burner is usually a sign of poor air/fuel mix (not enough air). Is there enough air flow into the room when this is running? May need to have a pro come in and set the air shutters on the burners. My bad on this. Too accustomed to home heaters. I knew there are no air doors/shutters, Posted after a surgical procedure

It seemed to be coming from between the metal on the right side. I still think it was startup burn off. Using the positive pressure venting, it said i needed to change the air plate thingy. Gave 2 in the kit, 1 was exactly what was on the heater and the other is for 5000 and up altitude. So i left it alone.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You need to increase the air into the room. Add a fan to pull more air into the room.

There are no air shutters on the burners for pool heaters.

I would also suggest a qualified pool heater tech come out and look at it. However I'm not sure how Hayward will treat this since they have been pretty strict on having licensed installers install the units in order for them to honor the warranty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.