Sand in my cartridge filter - 2 y/o pool

Gcrop

May 5, 2016
Memphis, TN
My liner pool was installed in the summer of 2014 (finished in July).

I am not all that confident in my pool installer but so far we have been good with the pool. No issues.

We have had a professional company close our pool (winterize and cover) for the last 2 winters. They opened it 2.5 weeks ago and it went well. Pool wasn't too cloudy but they added the needed chemicals to get it going.

I have 1 large cartridge filter for my system and I have 2 filters so I can clean and rotate them without any down time on the pool. Well I have cleaned the filters at least 6-8 times the last two weeks.

Here is my worry, there has been sand in the filter every time. The pool is beautifully clear and looks great but I am getting a lot of sand in the filter and my Kreepy Krauly bag. I will add pictures to help.

I am not very confident in my installer to do anything about or even having the knowledge to do anything about it.

My fear is that there is a pipe crack and I am pulling in sand from under the liner.

Has anyone experienced or heard of this or if it might be something else?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_2623.jpg
    IMG_2623.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2626.jpg
    IMG_2626.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 74
:wave: Welcome to TFP!

There is limited upload space for pictures here. You can upload the i ages to Photobucket, then copy paste the IMG code to a post here.

Are you sure that's sand and not pollen? Is it gritty?

Welcome to TFP :)

That could be pollen and it could be a start to algae bloom, could you post up your numbers from today's test, that will give us a better idea of what is going on :)

Thanks for the feedback (and cutting down my anxiety a little). It could potentially be pollen I suppose. Memphis is always top 5 in worst cities for allergies/pollen. I just don't remember this happening 12 months ago.

I will get new test numbers tomorrow and report back.

Next time you clean the filter cartridge, save some of that stuff and let it dry out. If it's gritty, it may be sand. If it's not gritty, it's most likely pollen. Certain areas of the country have a much worse pollen season than in past years.

How are you testing your water? What testkit do you use? Post up a full set of test results.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

I pulled out one of the filters this morning and will let dry out.

I get my water tested at Leslie's typically. I don't do my own tests, at least not yet. I will get them posted here as soon as I get them.

Oh drats Gcrop! We truly distrust most pool store test results for various reasons. They're often (ok, ok... most of the time) inaccurate and if it's Leslies they're gonna try to convince you that your phosphates are too high but if you'll just buy their $50 potion....Ugh!

A Taylor's K-2006C test kit or a TF-100 test kit is what you needed....yesterday :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Yippee, I will look into those test kits.

My pool builder put the ultra cheap (I assume) salt generator setup on my pool so at some point I would like to upgrade. For the time being, I'd love to put a NEMA 4 timer of some sort out there to try and save some money on energy usage (not running it 24/7.

Ok, first off about that testing, IF they are right, and on average Leslies tests seem to be correct about as often as a magic 8 ball, then your CYA is way lower than it should be, but your FC ratio is about right for your current CYA level. CH is a non issue in a vinyl pool, so you don't need to increase it even though they have it highlighted. As to the phosphates, the simple answer is phosphates are algae food, if you have no algae due to keeping the pool properly chlorinated then it does not matter how high they are. In other words is it just there so they have a number to point to so they can sell you a $50 bottle of Phos Free.

On the topic of the pump, running 24x7 is likely costing you tons of money on electricity, you really should consider a variable speed pump and possibly a bigger SWG (depending on its size and number of hours it is set to run / % it is set to) Around here many people get away with well under 6 hours of pump run time per day and manage good filtration.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.