San Antonio, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
So now that I understand the TFP method, and pool is clear, and all is well, so I started looking at my equipment. The previous owner ran the filter 24/7, and over the last month I did same, as I was not sure of the runtime, and also we have had some bad storms. But yesterday, I got our power bill! Ouch. Costing about $5/day to run this dang thing! So I cut the runtime down to 8 hours a day for now, and will lower more once I get comfortable.

Question is. I have a Pentair Challenger B2854, which upon lookup on the Google Machine tells me it is 1.5 HP. It's only about a year old, and works great, but it's a single speed. I have a good amount of trees around me, so when filter is not running at all, stuff gets in pool. And we have this pollen stuff that when it sinks to the bottom, it stains the plaster!

Any recommendations on a variable speed motor? Appx. cost? Would it be beneficial for me to get one?

thanks for any help you can provide. I love this site!

Also, my local power company, CPS Energy in San Antonio, offers a $200 per horsepower rebate if the new motor is Energy Star Compliant.

Does your energy company require you to purchase an entire pump or just the motor? Century makes a VS motor that will fit your pump head. A.O. Smith 1.65 HP Variable Speed Pool Pump Motor Square Flange - ECM16SQU - INYOPools.com

Also, a two speed motor is another choice although you probably won't get a rebate for that. A B2982 is the equivalent two speed for that pump head. But given the rebate, it might not cost much more for one of the cheaper VS pumps.

Thanks, will take a look at that. Is replacing a motor a tough task? I am pretty good with other stuff, just never worked with pool stuff. Would it be easy to switch out this motor? For $400 this seems like a good deal.

Here is the info on the rebate. Does say ""Motor-only replacement does not qualify. Nor does rebuilding an existing pool pump" So to replace the whole pump vs. the motor, what does that entail? What additional parts is that?

https://www.cpsenergy.com/en/my-home/ways-to-save/rebates-rebate/pool-pump-rebate.html

To replace a motor, you only need a Go_kit which has the motor seal and gaskets. But again, given the rebate, it may not make sense to do that. You would have to price it out. Because of the energy savings of a VS over a two speed, the two speed usually has to be more than $300 cheaper for the two speed to make sense.

Any of the lower priced VS pumps would qualify but if you have a Pentair controller or prefer Pentair, take a look at the Pentair SuperFlo VS.

Replacing a motor isn't hard. But the problem is getting some of the parts off. Due to water and corrosion, some of the bolts are stuck so tight, you need to be Hercules to take them off. I ran into the same problem. Had to call the professional, even they were not able to do it. They asked to get a new part!

And A.O. Smith is a very good brand. They do make some reliable pumps.

Right but I don't think you should have any hoses. It should all be schedule 40 ridged PVC.

For the Pool pump yes, you are right, only PVC. There are some hoses on the motor that powers the Polaris. Not sure if that is right or not, but that is what I have...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.