Using Flocculant

Captain 776

Bronze Supporter
May 2, 2016
Thailand
My pool is 1.5 yrs old and all I have ever done to it is add salt and shock it twice. I test water frequently and for the most part it is within parameters when I test the salinity and PH / Chlorine. PH does vary and I bring it up and down with PH minus and plus.
I have noticed lately that the bottom 4 tiles have a cloudy haze over them when the sun hits it just right, it felt a little slimy and when rubbed with a brush, whatever is there came right off, leaving the tile sparkling.
I have 8" x 8" tiles in my pool, I am now intimately familiar with each tile as I hand brushed every one of them.
Even before I noticed the haze on the tile, when you look at my pool, it looks sparkling clean but if you go underwater with a mask and look from one end to the other, it looks like dust in the water but after brushing it was significantly worse. I let the water go still and then turn the lights on at night, it looked like a dust blizzard going by the lights. The next day I gave it a good vacuuming and it almost seemed like the filter is just not catching those minute particles or they are going through the filter too fast to hold them.
Against my better judgement, I tried a flocculant for the first time, I added 700 ML by mixing it in my garden sprayer and getting a nice even coating over the entire pool surface. Then left the pool off for 48 hrs.
It was amazing how much brown encapsulated dust was on the bottom, so I carefully vacuumed that to waste and there was surely a significant improvement in clarity but after vacuuming I could still see some flocs in the water column so I am letting it sit for another 24 hrs and will give the final vacuum before going back to the regular filtering cycle.
I now swear by flocculating if you have significant suspended solids.
NOW.....I am not sure why I had the, what I call, dust in the water problem to start with, then it increased significantly after brushing which is to be expected.
If the pool remains clear, that will be GREAT, but if I still have dust........I was thinking to change out the glass filter media and go with the Zelbrite filter media.
When I talked to the pool store today to price the Zelbrite, they told me to wait and see if it happens again and to what degree.
I live in Chinag Mai Thailand and right now the air quality is bad, partly from pollution and partly from farmers burning the rice field to prepare for the next crop and the pool store said many customers are asking the same question as me regarding what looks like dust floating throughout the entire water column.
Zelbrite here is 37.00 USD for a 15 Kg bag (33 pounds) how does that price compare with other places. This particular pool store is probably the highest prices in this area.

Bottom Line - don't be afraid to Flocculate if you need to, follow the instructions and remember, Flocking is NOT a place where MORE is better. Make SURE to vacuum to waste after flocking and give it 48 hrs to settle out.

Thanks,

The Captain

It sounds to me like you didn't keep up with your brushing and ended up with a large buildup. And then you got weeks' worth of dust suspended in the water at all at once. That'll cloud things.

"...it almost seemed like the filter is just not catching those minute particles or they are going through the filter too fast to hold them" may well be true. Sand substitutes seldom work as well as the right sand. A layer of DE or cellulose might help catch the smaller stuff.

Regular brushing to keep the dust suspended so it gets drawn into the skimmer and a working filter might eliminate the need for floc. It's like my signature says...Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.

Bottom Line - don't be afraid to Flocculate if you need to, follow the instructions and remember, Flocking is NOT a place where MORE is better. Make SURE to vacuum to waste after flocking and give it 48 hrs to settle out.

Thanks,

The Captain

There are VERY few times floc is needed. The chlorine should be able to clear your pool. Keep up the testing and have all levels where they should be and your pool should never need floc.

Kim:cat:

Richard / Kim thanks for your replies. I assumed....seems, incorrectly that when I tested the water and the chlorine was within range that I was OK regarding algae forming/growing. In my mind, I was picturing algae as a green mess in the pool but it can be more discreet than that.
In the beginning, I was not keeping my PH within range. It seems like with a SWG you are always chasing your tail to adjust PH?
Is that a correct statement in your opinion? And I do now know from reading, if the PH isn't in range, your chlorine can be useless.
I use PH Minus and Plus I got from the pool store/chemical supply here and through trial and error realised that it doesn't take much of either to change the range. Whether I need to go up or down, a 1/2 cup to a full cup seem to get me there.
Right now I use the basic Chlorine / PH testing by using the gage and adding 4 drops of each reagent and I have a digital salinity meter.
I am going to order a Taylor K-2006 test kit today.

Any feedback on the Taylor test kit? Good way to go?

Thanks,
Captain

Taylor 2006 is the good one. Do not get the 2005 as it does not have the FC test you need. If you can get the 2006C do so. It has more of the regents.

PH+TA=balanace.............Each pool is different. Some pools like the TA at 80, some at 50. Once you find where your pool likes it TA your PH will stabilize. Anything like a fountain, waterfall, heavy rain will push your PH up. PH will creep up. You just need to keep an eye on it.

Once algae shows green it has already been in the water getting ready to show it's face. There are hints you get when you have a good test kit that let you know something is happening-higher FC use, a dulling of the water, brown "dirt" on the bottom of the pool, etc.

You are going to love having the test kit and how easy you water will be to balance once you find YOUR pools balance.

Kim:cat:

I am going to contact my pool store on Monday regarding the K-2006, thanks for that, I will ask about 2006C. When I was in the pool shop a week ago, the Owner said he didn't have the "big" test kit, but I didn't ask if he meant K-2006, so I will see if they are just out of stock or if they can find me one in Bangkok. I already looked on Amazon and E Bay and they don't ship to Thailand. A downside to living here. I searched many versions of Pool Supplies Bangkok and wasn't able to locate one.
My water clarity has improved significantly but I can still see suspended solids.
I will discuss that in the construction heading, may fit there better.

Captain

Kim.......I have glass not sand, can you add DE to glass? My pool is significantly clearer since flocculating. I ordered a Dolphin S-100 and should receive it around May 17. I also ordered the extra fine filter basket with the Dolphin, so I will see how that does and if it captures more of the smaller particles that don't seem to be held by the glass, it would be great if the Dolphin performs as advertised because it is a self contained unit and doesn't send any vacuumed debris through your filter. If after using the Dolphin, I need better filtration, I am going to change glass to Zelbrite.

stay tuned........film at 11

You might be interested in reading previous discussions about zeolite-type filter media. For example, this one debunked some of the false claims made by zeolite media salesman - Zeolite

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Significantly clearer now. Floccing helped a lot and since then my Dolphin S-100 got delivered. It came with an extra fine filter basket. The good thing about the Dolphin is it is a self contained unit and the fine particles and debris don't go to the filter, they stay in the Dolphin filter basket
My chemistry is all within the correct parameters and the water is crystal clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.