Am I doing this right?

Sep 29, 2015
Las vegas nv
New pool and was just using the cheap test kit adding acid and using the inline chlorinator. Just got the Taylor k-2006 test kit and came up with these results
Cya-47
Ch-500
Ta-50
Ph-7.1
Fc-144
Cc-1
Saturation index shows -.6
Water temp is about 70
Just put a little acid yesterday morning

According to the calculator here I need to drain some water

Well, some of those numbers are a little odd coming from the K-2006.

The CYA would normally be a multiple of 10
That is kind of a weird pH number
That FC is crazy ... please describe how you did the test. How much water did you use and how many drops did you count?

Why do you think it suggests draining water? Probably because you have a low CH number set for the target. You should test your tap water for CH and see how hard your water is. Often we just have to deal with higher CH numbers than ideal.

CYA was between the 40 and 50 closer to 50 so I just assume 47. It said until the black dot disappeared but I may have seen it very faintly, my eyes were getting crazy staring down the tube for a while.
Same for the PH. It was kind of between the 7.0 and 7.2
The FC said multiply the drops by itself. Took 12 drops to turn clear with 25ml of water unless I missed a step

You're FC is 2.4 PPM you multiply the number of drops by 0.2 parts per million when you use 25 milliliters. From now on though use 10 milliliters of water and multiply each dropped by .5

Ah got it. I misread. I'll test my tap water but I know our water here is pretty hard.

The cya being around 40-50 I should probably switch to bleach now?
Yep. 50 CYA is a good number, and in Las Vegas, you might be okay up around 60... which leaves you some room to use pucks if you want to leave town for a few days.

The 1 CC is worrisome. Repeat the FC & CC test tomorrow and be careful and mix it thoroughly between drops.

Yep. 50 CYA is a good number, and in Las Vegas, you might be okay up around 60... which leaves you some room to use pucks if you want to leave town for a few days.

The 1 CC is worrisome. Repeat the FC & CC test tomorrow and be careful and mix it thoroughly between drops.

Actually since I screwed up the FC then my cc is screwed up as well. It took 1 drop at 25ml level to turn clear

It's nice a Ned clear except for some leftover crud from recent rain and heavy winds. I was freaking out last week because there were a few brown looking stains that I couldn't brush off. The chlorine was low and once I turned it up the stains were gone

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.