Keeping above 2.5ppm - algae still forming

Feb 5, 2015
Austin
Pool owner for three years. After falling into the CYA death spiral, I drained the pool in the winter and refilled. Made the switch to the bleach and have been keeping my FC level above 2.5 for a month. I added a floater with 1" chlorine tablets for a week while I was out of town. Since my return, I've been adding a 2 cups of bleach every other day to keep it between 2 and 5. The CC level is always 0 when tested with the TF-100. I run my pump at full speed for 1.5 hours and then for about 10 hours, I dial it down to about 1/2 speed. I've been brushing every other day...which seems excessive. Nobody else I know that has a pool brushes more than me. However, I missed 2 days until tonight. I tested the water before brushing:

FC: 4.5
CC: 0
pH: 7.5
TA: 7
CYA: 40
Temp: 76F

After brushing, you could see a distinct line between the brushed and non-brushed area. The algae was everywhere. Am I missing something? Does the low speed on the pump not circulate the water good enough? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike, I agree with Jason. I'm afraid that the FC was consistently just too low and allowed algae to grab-hold of your pool. Time to SLAM. Good thing is your water doesn't seem to be too terribly bad, and you're still at a low springtime CYA, so if you maintain an FC of 16 and stay faithful with the cleaning, sweeping, and filter rinsing, you should make good time. Just make sure to pass ALL 3 SLAM criteria before you let the FC below 16. Good luck!

I've been SLAMming for about 5 days. The pool looks beautiful, but I'm losing about 10ppm of chlorine between sunrise to sunset. (Usually 25 to 15). So I checked the CYA again and it's 20, not 40. I haven't really had the opportunity to do the OCLT since at 9PM, I'm at the minimum shock level and add 2 gallons of bleach. I thought for the past few days it was due to all the algae being consumed, but now I think the CYA level is the problem. I added enough CYA to get it up to 40 and I'll test again tomorrow.

Does anything above sound not correct?

Thanks,
Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.