Is it normal for pressure return line to....

Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
Function at a low return rate even when booster pump is not on? I replaced my old pressure side pool cleaner with a new Dolphin and I noticed today that it still was returning water out the return hole even though I've disconnected the booster pump since I don't use it anymore. Also, is it normal for the pool returns to make bubble noises intermittently? It appeared like the returns were intermittently shooting out air but when I felt in front they were all blowing hard. Maybe I'm just being paranoid since this is our first pool, everything appears to be working as it should.

If the pressure return is still hooked up to the plumbing after the pump, then yes, water is going to flow out of it.

SWGs generate bubbles, if your pad is close to your pool those bubbles may come out the jets. See if the bubbles are only present when the SWG is generating.

It almost sounded like the returns were sputtering, but when I felt in front water was coming out at a steady fast rate. I'm thinking it may have to do with me turning off the waterfalls recently and have more pressure coming through the pool returns. I found out that with the two waterfalls on it will increase my pH at a faster rate so I turned them off and put the majority of the water going back to the pools returns and spa overflow. Would that maybe be the reason I'm noticing it now?

I get a little water flow from my pressure cleaner line. Also get bubbles out of the return closest to the pad when the SWG is on. I think i might have heard the noise you are talking about too. I will go with paranoid. :-D Good that you are paying attention to your pool.

I get a little water flow from my pressure cleaner line. Also get bubbles out of the return closest to the pad when the SWG is on. I think i might have heard the noise you are talking about too. I will go with paranoid. :-D Good that you are paying attention to your pool.

Now that you mention it, the sputtering/bubbling sounds were coming mainly from the returns closet to the pump/swg.

After doing some research, I think I may have found the culprit of the air bubbles coming out of return jets. I took apart the unions of the salt cell last week to inspect the inside to see if I needed a new one, and I think when I put it back on I may have misaligned the rubber o-ring. I've realized that up until I did that the returns were working perfectly fine. I'm going to check it out again tomorrow to see if that was the problem. I watched a video and the guys said 3 main things cause this 1) low water level (my water level is fine, 2) pump basket lid or o-ring not on tight or misaligned, 3) orings between suction side of main pump or salt cell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.