Brand New Above Ground Pool

May 4, 2016
Forest, MS
Brand New Above ground pool 18' x 48" vinyl quickset (5500 Gallons). First Time Pool Owner. Standard pump. I plan to upgrade as budget allows.

Water is clear just filled from municipal supply (my spigot). We have pretty clean (no taste, no coloration) drinking water.

Bought an HDX Pool Test kit. The best I could find locally. I will be getting a TF-100 soon, but it is not in the budget just yet. I have been lurking here a couple of days leading up to the pool purchase and have read over pool school and several articles list in it (several times). I also have read several forums.

I have not added any chemicals yet. Water added yesterday. Temps were 46 overnight and 76 today.
No visible algae. Water is clear. Sides are not slick.

I do have a couple of dandelion floaters. I am working to get them out with the skimmer but it is a challenge. Neighbor decided it was time to brush hog.

What chemicals I have purchase so far:
2 Gallons of Great Value Bleach (8.25%)
4 lbs of Clorox Stabilizer (cyanuric acid)

Test results from HDX Pool Test kit (http://www.homedepot.com/p/5-Way-Pool-and-Spa-Test-Kit-62364/203796265):

FC: 0
CC: 0 ~ 0.6 (did not register a change from FC)
Ph: 7.6
TA: 180

The question is should I get my TA/Ph issue sorted before I add chlorine and stabilizer. What order should I proceed in.

Thanks for your help.

- Nate

P.S. This is a birthday present for my daughter. She is having a pool party this weekend (hopefully). Is it possible to have the pool swim-able by Saturday?
P.S.S. Yeah I know I should have planned ahead. !FacePalm! But you know life and budget. I digress.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Okay, the very simplest of start-up procedures for now:
- Add stabilizer via the sock-soaking method for a target of 30 ppm (use the Poolmath calculator)
- Add bleach to increase FC to 2-3 ppm for day 1. After that, increase to about 3-5 ppm
- Keep pH around 7.6-7.8 (no action needed at this time)

Those are you most immediate concerns for now. Hope that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.