Advice on new pump

Oct 30, 2008
Last fall, our pool pump died about a week before we closed the pool. It just hums when you turn it on, and since it was first installed in 2001, we figured it was time to buy a new, more-efficient pump. Our state (Vermont) offers a $400-600 rebate for the purchase of an efficient pump, but the list of approved pumps is 6 pages long and I have no idea what I should be looking for.

The one key thing in addition to my stats listed below is that the pump is in our boiler room, which is on the opposite side of the house from the pool. From what we can determine looking at previous owner's paperwork, it appears that the pipe run is somewhere around 60 feet between them, but we don't know if that's to the skimmer end (which is the far end), or the jets (which is the near end).

We've been running the pump about 10 hours a day which has kept the pool clean and were planning on experimenting with some lesser times this summer because it pretty much doubles our electric bill during the summer when the pool is open. Hopefully, a more efficient pump will also help, but I see variable-speed, multi-speed, and variable-flow on this long list and it makes my eyes go buggy.

We will be calling around to several pool companies for help in getting it installed, but hoped to get some guidance here first, because these companies tend to only want to sell whatever brand they prefer and not always the best one.

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

Marie

What do you use for pump control right now?

What do you currently pay for electricity?

Our state (Vermont) offers a $400-600 rebate for the purchase of an efficient pump, but the list of approved pumps is 6 pages long and I have no idea what I should be looking for.
Does that list include 2 speed pumps or only VS pumps?

Hayward does make a MaxFlo VS that would probably fit your current unions (assuming you have them) so you wouldn't need to make any plumbing changes.

When you ask about pump control, I assume you're asking what turns it on and off. We have a large controller panel in our boiler room that controls all our systems including heating, and one of them is a timer that turns the pump on and off at prescribed times.

We pay .15/Kwh but with the add on costs, it ends up being around .20/Kwh.

The list includes multi-speed, variable speed, and variable flow pumps. You can see it here: https://www.efficiencyvermont.com/Media/Default/docs/rebates/qpls/efficiency-vermont-pool-pumps-qualifying-products.pdf

Would it help if I uploaded a picture of our current setup?

The list does have two speed pumps as well so you can go that route too if you wanted to. Either way, it will save you energy. However, at that electrical rate, some of the lower costs VS pumps probably makes more sense and the rebate covers most of the cost. The two I like are the MaxFlo VS and the SuperFlo VS.

If you are going to pay someone to install the pump make sure that if you don't already have proper hi-temp unions on the pump they put them on as part of the installation. That way, if you ever need to remove or replace the pump it will be much easier to do it yourself.

I just bought a Super flo VS for 650 shipped to my door for free, I think the MaxFlo VS is running around 700. With those kinds of rebates its like getting a pump for free let alone the savings on your electric bill. In CT my rates are about 20c/kwh after taxes and distribution charges. No energy rebates tho....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.