Swamp thang, you've made my wife...ANGRY

Sep 8, 2015
alexandria/ky
Hello, First time poster and I just started my first opening today. I've added some eye candy. The pool is 14x28 around 12,000 gal, vinyl liner, cartridge filter, and swg.
I am now slamming the pool, poured my first two jugs of 8% bleach in and scrubbed down the walls and bottom to circulate things. My PH 7.2/TA 20/CYA 0. I have read my pool school and slamming method. The calculator said to bring FC up to 12 add 1.8 jugs. I have also added my cyanuric acid to a sock and laid it in the skimmer basket to circulate. Hopefully that brings the cya up to 30. My question is, do I test my FC once an hour or wait longer and maintain at 12? I bought 16 jugs to start. I know I have a long two weeks ahead of me.

Attachments

• IMG_20160504_182048727.jpg
    IMG_20160504_182048727.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 217
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

How long you can wait between tests depends on how fast the FC is being consumed. I would suggest hourly at the start and gradually you should be able to wait longer.

If you stay on top of it, the whole process should not take 2 weeks.

Welcome to TFP!

With some perseverance, it won't take you nearly two weeks. By Sunday you should see a significant difference.

Welcome! :wave:

What a pretty green tint!

With that much green and slowly rising CYA levels, I'd think an hour is plenty of time to deplete the FC. You'll have a better idea when you do test it. If you only lost 1 or 2, then you can probably stretch the interval to two hours. As things progress, the intervals should get longer and the amount needed to bring things back up to shock level will decrease. I'd say you're doing extremely well. You've got the kit and you're following directions and most important, you posted a picture!

Depending on your work schedule and how diligent you are able to be about dosing, you could be done by the end of the weekend. I believe the record is three days, but that guy set his alarm clock and got up every two hours through the night.

attachment.php

Take THIS :whip: swamp thang! He has your number and you are going DOWN!

Love the picture to "feed" us! Now keep taking pics each day looking down on your steps. THAT will show all of us the progress you are making!

Kim:cat:

Day two and I have some progress. My FC was as high as 17 around 6pm. I checked again at midnight and FC had dropped to 5.5. After adding 1.5 jugs of bleach I called it a night. At this mornings check, I have emerald patches and a visible third step. My FC is overshot again at 17, so I am holding off on adding additional bleach at this time. My target FC has been 12. The pressure on my filter started at 10, and is now at 13. When should I clean the filter? I was going to wait until it hit 18. Is that too long? It is a cartridge filter.
I forgot to mention, my sock filled with about 4.25 cups of cyanuric acid has all but totally dissolved this morning. I cannot check my CYA again until my new bottle arrives in the mail. So I am assuming what I've added brought it up to 30 or so.

Attachments

• IMG_20160505_072630445.jpg
    IMG_20160505_072630445.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 188
You should clean your filter when the pressure has increased by about 25% from its original baseline (clean) starting pressure. Emerald green huh? It will be interesting to see how this one develops. :) Try to stay on-top of that FC and maintain it. The SLAM works best that way. Happy SLAMming, and have a good day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
IMG_20160508_095856923.jpgUpdate day 5 ish,still cloudy but we now have visibility to the bottom. I've been cleaning the cartridge filter with a power washer over using a garden hose, but the pressure rises from 10 (original starting pressure) to around 15 in just a few hours. Vacuumed 3 times this week. I haven't been able to check my FC because I am still waiting on my reagent to arrive. Adding about half a gallon of bleach a day until then.

You are so close :) that is looking great...

you should not need to clean your filters in an acid bath unless you have scaling going on..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.