Waterfalls - effects on FC, pH, energy use

anonapersona

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
I know my neighbor runs their waterfall most of the day, but ours is much bigger and I suspect uses a lot more energy. I have noticed the algae that tends to grow there and suspect that running the water through it more rather than less is the key to keeping that algae-free and thus the pool as well. I have already noticed that the pool level is lower, so I guess I am getting either a lot of evaporation from all those rocks in the bright hot sun or the slight dampness I notice in the joints between some stones in the back may be more important than it looks.

1 - does running the waterfall cause chlorine to break out as a gas and be lost more rapidly?

2 - my TA is still 170; will running the waterfall more often cause the pH to stay high?

3 - The waterfall pump is "Centurion Switchless" 2 HP as far as I can tell. Is this an expensive motor to run?

4 - Do you notice any significant evaporation losses with your waterfall? or do I have a leak in the rocks?

See answers below:

anonapersona said:
I know my neighbor runs their waterfall most of the day, but ours is much bigger and I suspect uses a lot more energy. I have noticed the algae that tends to grow there and suspect that running the water through it more rather than less is the key to keeping that algae-free and thus the pool as well. I have already noticed that the pool level is lower, so I guess I am getting either a lot of evaporation from all those rocks in the bright hot sun or the slight dampness I notice in the joints between some stones in the back may be more important than it looks.

1 - does running the waterfall cause chlorine to break out as a gas and be lost more rapidly?
Yes, outgasing of chlorine should occur at a higher rate with agitated water.

2 - my TA is still 170; will running the waterfall more often cause the pH to stay high?
Yes, it is very difficult to lower PH when TA is high.

3 - The waterfall pump is "Centurion Switchless" 2 HP as far as I can tell. Is this an expensive motor to run?
Yes. Probably uses over 2 kw.

4 - Do you notice any significant evaporation losses with your waterfall? or do I have a leak in the rocks?
I don't have a waterfall but it would make sense that evaporation is increased. Larger surface area created by the waterfall would increase evaporation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.