Leaving town during SLAM

May 3, 2016
macon ga
Hi. We are newbies to TFP and have had our pool (came with the house) for 3 years. We are in the process of SLAMing but we need to leave town for a few days. How can we keep the progress we've made? I've only taken 1 pic (missed that part), and will try to post it. Thanks for your help.

FC 14
PH 7.4
TA 100
CYA 35

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Well, the best way is to have someone you trust add some bleach each day, but even at that, if they aren't able (or know how) to test the FC, they may be guessing a bit. Since you have a vinyl pool, you don't want someone to over-shoot the FC by too much. If you had a pool cover, you could leave the cover on which, while not ideal for oxidation, should save some FC. Or, if worse comes to worse, just let it ride until you get back. Another thing to consider .... having the pump running for days at a time while you're away may be a concern if you only have one source of suction and it gets clogged (i.e. skimmer) that would be a problem.

Geez, the more I type, the more I would be inclined to just let it be until I got back. Maybe others will have a thought or two I missed.

I have many friends who love to come to swim in my pool. Often. I taught them how to test and gave them directions about what to do. They text me with questions. Seems a fair exchange for all the pool time they get out of me. Have any friends like that?

We've returned and we are restarting the slam. I took a pic before we left. I also took one this morning and it actually looks better. We did add 1 gal of bleach when we got home last night.

Our numbers this morning are:
FC 10
PH 7.2
TA 100
CYA 10

Pool looks quite nice actually. It would be a good idea at this point to add a little more stabilizer for a new CYA target of 30 ppm. Then you could maintain an FC of 12 and that should work very well for the remainder of your SLAM. Welcome back. :wave:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.