And so it begins.. Las Vegas Owner Builder pool...

Apr 25, 2016
Las Vegas, NV
First post, so hopefully im uploading correctly. Will have more details as I get to know the pool and I will put in my signature. Pool will be IG with depth 3.5-6. It doesn't show right now so that's something we will have to go over the designer with. Debating if we want deep by the wet deck area and move the stairs or leave the deep area towards the back left area. We shall see.

After a few companies and a few chats with fellow TFP members I finally have the first draft of the design. Any comments are welcomed. Waiting for 3D picture, our biggest issue is the back wall design for the pool...we cant find anything we have liked.

Any comments or ideas about other options or what to ask to be put into plans/ pictures?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 494
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 492
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 489
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:
Alright! Welcome to TFP! :wave: Along with the diagram, if you have a listing of the major components included in your quote, the forum members here would like to see those as well. We may have some good advice for you to take back to your builder.

Yes. Your PB should provide you with a draft listing of all the components they plan on installing for your pool Things like type and details of the motor (s), type/size of filter, size plumbing, number of skimmers, returns, drains, and any other auxiliary equipment you might chose like a heater or salt water generator (and their sizes as well). Even things light type/number of lights. We'll critique anything here. :)

So first drafts up. Unsure about the look of the back wall and flat area of the deck/spa. Maybe it'd look better sunk in about 12" to almost have a sit and spin. Wife doesn't like the amount of stairs. Maybe we should do 3 deeper steps leading up to flat platform. That way the planter also has a lip or separation.

Again just talking it out. :). I know design is the most important part.

Update. Next draft should be available today. This is the list of equipment my designer is suggesting. Let me know what you guys think. It's roughly 20x34 IG pool with attached spa 7x7. Thinking about going the salt chlorine generator route. Unsure if prices are competitive but will look them up. Any advice will be great.

Master Temp Heater 400,000 BTU $1,750 (1)
EasyTouch 8 Remote w/ Salt Panel - $1,250 (1)
Screen Lodgic Remote $550 (1)
Intelliflo VS3050 Pump $800 ea (2)
Intellibright LED Pool Lights $475 ea (2)
Intellibright LED Spa Lights $425 ea (1)
420 Pentair Cartridge Filter $700 (1)

Any other equipment your Plumber will get for you.

Final 3D images are up. Designer is finalizing the plans. I will post when available. Going to go with in-floor cleaner (hoping that's a good decision.)

Next will be on to the bids. I will post prices and negotiations for those of you who like to follow. Slow process on my end but wanted the design to be right... (and the wife happy!!) lol.

Any thoughts let me know. Designer said I had to either go with 3" on wet deck or 18" and then we wouldn't be able to have bubblers. Hoping that doesn't feel too shallow. Anyone know of being able to do more? Designer says step cant be more than 12" down?

For irrigation and everything to the planters...when do we have someone come out? Prior to laying the decking?

I like the change to the spa/deck area. I would definitely get landscapers involved before decking. You'll need to get irrigation to the planters in the back, and you won't want to tear up the decking to do so. I've found it is better to get the subs involved too early, and have them tell you their part can wait a while, than to wait too long to have them come out.

Yea that's a good idea. I will have to have them come out earlier than later. May even have the same people lay the travertine/flagstone that build my planter and irrigation system. Do you (or anyone) know of a good place to look at travertine / flagstone. I've looked at a few online sites but nothing local here / Arizona how could get it up here for pretty cheap.

Ok friends. Here is my final draft I need to approve. Those of you who don't mind checking out everything you guys are good with id appreciate. Let me know what other info you need. If it's good to go then perfect. If changes needed or better equipment etc I'd love to hear from you guys! Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bustanoj, this should be a very nice project when it's completed. The only things that caught my eye were:
- I see on the spec list there are 4 returns and two main drains. I could not tell however on the diagram where those return jets were positioned, although I just had my eyes dilated. :cool: Not reading too well. So I was concerned about sufficient water flow to the skimmer(s).
- I also noticed the in-floor cleaning. I'm personally not a fan, but don't let that sway you just yet. I don't personally have one, so that should tell you something. :) But I do see a fair amount of people who have had problems later. I'm sure the warranty will protect you for some time. Just consider whether it's worth the investment as opposed to a top of the line automated cleaner (i.e. Robot, Dolphin, etc). Speaking of which, did your builder include a pressure or suction side cleaner port? I didn't notice it. That might be a good option as well whether or not you keep the in-floor cleaning. Also, did they include an overfill relief port?

I guess my main concern for you (if this was my project) would be to speak to your builder about the necessity to have 2 main drains and only one skimmer and only 4 returns. I have 6 returns in my 16x40 pool. We typically find that strategically placed return jets are more critical for adequate water flow around the pool and to the skimmer(s) which help cut-down on dead spots and assists with overall cleaning. A drain can have its advantages at times as long as it's working properly which is another discussion altogether. You might also take into account the position of your house and the Vegas valley prevailing winds as they will either drive surface debris to your skimmer or away from it.

If you don't have a light around the location of the equipment pad, you might consider that as well; or at least an electrical stub-out for later (DIY).

Again, a very nice project with some good equipment and overall aesthetics. But if money becomes a factor and you have to pick & chose, I would think carefully about the amount of return jets, skimmers, suction/pressure cleaning line, as opposed to two MDs and in-floor cleaning. Hope my writing makes sense as I'm squinting with my messed-up eyes right now. ha. I'm sure others will reply as well Ask lots of questions and keep us posted.

Ok. So yes I see 2 MD in the main pool and one MD in the spa. In the instruction I see that there are only 2 MD listed... does he not include the spa?

I also see that it says 4 looped returns. Do returns normally happen off the MDs? Would the 4 be the 3 MDs and the skimmer for a return? Im not familiar with how it should be set up so any advice is fine. If we wanted 6 returns does that just mean for MDs?

The wife now is wondering if we should do an in floor cleaner... I guess we should get it priced out and go from there???

Usually you would see on the diagram or clarified somewhere the # of returns (jets) for the pool since they are considered separate from the MDs or skimmer(s). So for your benefit I think you should verify what the builder has planned in that regard so you can ensure you are making an informed decision. As for the in-floor cleaning system, please don't just take my word. Take some time to put those key words into the TFP search feature and see what you find. I just want you to get the most for your money and be happy with the way you end-up cleaning your pool down the road. I'm still hoping others will reply - maybe some who have personal experience with their in-floor cleaning systems.

My pool is very similar to yours in size and design minus the spa and I have paramount pv3 infloor with 25 heads, if you want you can pm me and I can give you some prices. I also have a 40 foot raised bond beam 24" high with ledger stone just completed in March. Also infloor only used one main drain.

So if I decided to go the non-in floor cleaner route.... what do I need to make sure they add to the pool? Should I ask for increase of return jets to 6? Should I add another skimmer? And then definitively will need the section/cleaning line.

Thanks for the help

"If" you decide to opt-out of an in-floor cleaning system, I would definitely recommend a pressure or suction side cleaning port. They are very convenient for many of today's portable cleaners. Even if later you go with an electric-driver cleaner, it's a good option to have available. But try to reach-out to as many in-floor owners as you can to get more feedback like "NWV" above. Adding a couple more returns is an easy thing to do for a builder with minimal cost of PVC and a few extra fittings. Your builder can advise if they think a second skimmer is possible based on the layout of your pool with benches, steps, tanning shelf, etc. The important concept is to simply let the builder know you are concerned and want to ensure you have very good water circulation from returns to skimmer(s). Perhaps they will have additional ideas. At this point, don't rule anything out, just be open minded and look for as much feedback as you can before that draft goes final. :) I hope more replies will follow.

Do you (or anyone) know of a good place to look at travertine / flagstone. I've looked at a few online sites but nothing local here / Arizona how could get it up here for pretty cheap.
When I looked online for travertine, shipping costs became a problem, even for places located 1 1/2 hours away in Phoenix. I of course never priced shipping costs to Las Vegas, but QDI Stone in Phoenix might be your best bet for an Arizona supplier. Your prospective decking contractors should be able to tell you where to go locally to look at travertine or flagstone. Even non-decking contractors may be able to send you in the right direction. I had a non-decking contractor get a quote for the wholesale price from one of the big local supply houses, so I know what part of any decking quote I get is marked up for labor/profit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.