Centerville, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Hey guys - I have been trying to figure out what I should adjust for CSI.

I do all my own testing with a TF-100 - my pool is 1 year old. Ive never had any crazy numbers - other than during the floods a few weeks ago my water got really diluted - I have since brought everything back up. Even though I have kept my numbers within range - I haven't EVER paid attention to CSI and I am getting quite a bit of scale on my rocks. And I have a LOT of rocks. I plan on tackling the scale with MA and a scrub brush - but I wanted to see if I could get a better understanding of CSI.

From what I understand it would be great if I could keep my CSI at 0. I understand I play with the numbers to see what changes happen. But before I toss something in I would love to have someone on here verify I am thinking this through correctly.

FC 7 (I bring it to 7 each afternoon - it never gets below 3)
PH 7.5
TA 70
CH 250
CYA 30 (I have added pucks last week to raise it to 40, but haven't retested this week)
Water temp 75
CSI -.25

My thoughts are to leave CH at 250
Get CYA to 40
Increase TA to 90
My water should be back to 80 over the next few days - which will put my CSI at -.08
The water will raise to 85 over the next month or so which will put my CSI at -.03

Does this sound like a sound plan? Am I working the numbers right? This is not my skill set!

-.25 isn't a problem, and like you say as it gets warmer it should trend toward 0.

I understand the obsession though, I can't say I wasn't a little excited when today I noticed mine is 0.01 :p

I think you will want your CYA at 50 in that Houston sun. And I would leave TA at 70 so PH doesn't start rising. Especially with swimming and splashing ramping up soon. Does PH stay 7.5 on its own? If yes I would go

PH 7.5
TA 70
CYA 50
CH 300
Water 80, cuz 75 is too cold!
CSI -0.16

Just so you understand a positive CSI reading means that scale could form, a negative one can damage pool surfaces. But any CSI reading between -.60 and +.60 is little cause for alarm. If you are experiencing any scaling, you will want to maintain a slightly negative CSI. So for you, any CSI between zero and -.60 is acceptable. I have high CH, so if I allow mine to get much above zero I can develop scale in a hurry. I target a CSI in the -.10 to -.30 range, but am not concerned as long as it's a negative number below -.60. Any positive number can result in some scale, but for most poeple it's slow and of little concern until a positive of .60. That's why the chart calls for a CSI between -.60 and +.60.

Hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.