New Pool Owner, TA and PH Question

Apr 27, 2016
Villa Hills, KY
Hello Everyone,

I have been lurking for a couple of weeks reading everything on here. I opened my pool two weeks ago and I am just getting it clear. I have been using liquid CL and test strips until yesterday when my test kit arrived I was able to get my own readings. They are as follows:

FC 6
CC 0
PH 7.3
TA 350
CH 275
CYA 21

I know that my FC is higher than it needs to be, and that I need to bring up my CYA, but I am confused on what to do about the TA and PH. From what pool math is telling me, I should raise my PH to get to 7.5-7.8, but in order to lower TA, you are supposed to lower your PH and aerate. Let me know what you think.

Also, what is the best way for me to aerate the water?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to TFP!

Step one is don't get in a hurry. The problem with high TA is that it tends to cause pH rise. Yours being at 7.3 is okay. If your water isn't causing problems like scaling and you aren't fighting to keep your pH in line, it's not important to move the TA. It will tend to go down over time with rain water additions unless your fill water is exceptionally high.

If your pH does climb, you can push it back down to around 7 with muriatic acid and normal pool use will provide aeration to get rid of some TA. If you want to hurry it along, you can just point your returns to ripple the surface.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.