slam FC reading

Fill to 10 mL will pool water.
Add heaping scoop of powder. Swirl. Pink indicates chlorine.
Add one drop at a time until solution goes clear.
Multiply # drops by .5

Doing that there is no way you can get 1.7 :)

34 * .5 = 17, so yes, 17 is your FC level. That's a little bit over the SLAM level of 12, as you obviously know, so your pool might be a little bit smaller than you think.

Yes Darla, you are on your way to better pool chemistry. :) We are certainly in for another beautiful day, so enjoy that poolside babysitting. Mr. Bruce got you up-to-speed on FC testing/readings, so now you just need to maintain that FC of 12. Review the SLAM page once a day to ensure you're not missing anything else vital to do each day. In time, you'll have this SLAM behind you. Have a great day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How often are you testing? During the beginning of a SLaM, you need to test and redose as often as you can. It is recommended at least 4 times a day. More is better. I usually say test and redose every few hours. As the FC starts to hold then you can stretch it out between testing and redosing.

Man, the algae is hard to get off the walls. :-( I am using a wire pool bristle brush but its difficult to brush the sides down low since my pool is oval. I am using a plastic hand bristle brush for the spots on the top area I can reach, its working well!! Yes, I am testing every two hours and read the slam page 4 times already today lol. I want this stuff to go away! When I get to the end, how long should I backwash my pump? I have done it 6-8 times before and the nasty dirty stuff keeps coming out but I run out of water in the pool. Should I fill it and keep backwashing? I think I am going to take it apart to and hand clean the filters, that the only thing I haven't done in the past. Maybe that will do the trick.

Ideally you should backwash until the water is clear, but if your water level gets low, you don't have a choice to stop if the only suction you have is from a skimmer. Those with a main drain will switch to the drain only. :) But even if you couldn't backwash 100% like you might want to, it helps and should make the filter pressure go down some. Backwashing is something you'll need to do the entire SLAM. Hopefully towards the end when the heavy stuff is gone it will slow down a bit for you. Be careful about taking apart DE filters if you've never done it before. Some might even recommend simply rinsing them in-place for right now, then at the end of the SLAM do a really good cleaning.

Third reading is at 12 now. Finally. Yes I know it's difficult to clean it but it has to be done. I may get my pool guy to do it lol. He fixes the equipment only for me. I will spray it down with a Clorox solution when he breaks it down. The discoloration on the bottom is now gone!!! :) I have been brushing it like crazy LOL. I'm soooo happy now. Back hurts but I'm happy. :)

2nd and final day today! Pool looks great, all the algae is gone! I have a few questions for anyone who has an oval pool.

1. Does anyone use the concave plastic bristle brushes and are they better than the straight metal bristle ones.
2. any advice on cleaning the steps and corners around the steps. I have a hard time reaching the front parts of the steps, unless I get in the pool itself. During the cooler days I prefer not to lol.
3. I have a plaster pool and when I brush it, a white cloud appears so I am unsure if this is normal? Its a lot to, I worry the plaster is breaking down?

If I should ask this in another thread please tell me which one! Thank you all for your help and patience! Now, after I backwash later today, how long should I wait to do a full reading again? My target FC level is 2-7 and I am at 12 right now but I will need to add a lot of water to backwash, probably 2 inches worth. Any other info I need to know and do please tell me. Thanks again!!

Good morning Darla. Let's make sure of a couple things okay:
1 - Did you pass all 3 SLAM criteria (water clear; CC les that .5ppm; passed your OCLT test)?
2 - If your CYA was 30 (because your SLAM FC was 12), then after the SLAM, your FC target zone will be 3-5; never below 2. But after the SLAM, after our temps increase closer to summer, you may need to increase yoru CYA more to protect the FC from the sun. When you do, always refer to the Chlorine/CYA Chart. I keep a printed copy in my test kit at all times.

You might also want to verify CYA if you've done a lot of backwashing. It may have dropped a little. After the SLAM is complete, just go ahead and run a full set of test results to make sure they are all within the TFP recommended levels (link below). With those full tests, we can get an idea of your plaster. Hope that helps.

For the brushing... there are corner brushes that fit onto the pole that will get you into those tight corners around the steps:

I like the Wall Whale. The fin provides the inwards force. All you have to do is pump it up and down on the walls.

A lot of that white dust you see is just dust. It doesn't mean the plaster is disintegrating. Persistence should eventually get rid of it.

Recommended Levels

rating-15_5.png

Vinylwith Bleach
FC 3-7 (See chart)
pH 7.5-7.8
TA 50-90+
CH 0-350 (Don't add)
CYA 30-50
with SWG
FC 3-5 (See chart)
pH 7.5-7.8
TA 60-80
CH 0-300 (Don't add)
CYA 70-80
Plasterwith Bleach
FC 3-7 (See chart)
pH 7.5-7.8
TA 70-90+
CH 250-350
CYA 30-50
with SWG
FC 3-5 (See chart)
pH 7.6-7.8
TA 60-80
CH 350-450
CYA 70-80
Fiberglasswith Bleach
FC 3-7 (See chart)
pH 7.5-7.8
TA 70-90+
CH 220-320
CYA 30-50
with SWG
FC 3-5 (See chart)
pH 7.5-7.8
TA 60-80
CH 220-320
CYA 70-80

This is the chart I looked at. There are 2 different ones but it does not matter really after reading all the info here, you need to adjust the FC level depending on Temp, swimming, debris, sun, etc. I will definitely keep it above 3 ppm so the algae does not come back. Most likely above 5 lol. I do not want to do that again. Very time consuming and back breaking LOL. I will post later tonight with the numbers. I hope the PH and CYA are in good ranges. I hope. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh thank goodness!! Thank you for the post!! :) Can I get those brushes online? Any recommended sites that one of yall use?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.