Establishing a Chlorine Schedule

WalterE

Bronze Supporter
Aug 29, 2015
Little Rock, AR
First of all, I am very pleased with the Trouble Free System and have made good progress. The only issue I see is that it requires constant vigilance and I will be absent this summer for weeks at a time, so I am asking for advice. Here is where I am today.

FC 6.5, PH 7.5, TA 50, CH 40, CYA 30 OCLT 0.5ppm
Pool is clear, Temp 60 at night to 80 mid-day , but will be getting much warmer in the summer 80-100

I assume that if I can come up with a chlorine usage. (It appears to currently be 2.5ppm loss per day), that I can get someone to drop in a gallon every few days, I might be able to manage. Here are my questions?

Would it help to add 2-3, or more gallons before I leave to bring it way up?.... will that hurt my pump? Will that extend the days between adding chlorine?

Can I really get a schedule without constant testing, or is it too variable.

Any advice will be appreciated.
THANKS

PS:
(I have discovered a new WalMart product of Liquid Chlorine in the pool section $2.50/gal of 10% chlorine). As far as I can tell, it's chlorine and water. Been using for a couple of weeks and it seems to work as well as the household products.

Elevating to your shock level based on your CYA before leaving would be a good idea. I would also recommend in your location, raising the CYA to 40 or 50 ppm. You'll have less FC loss per day during the summer. Covering the pool with a solar cover will help with daily losses while you're away as well.

You can come up with a schedule for someone, but having them at least do the K-1000 TC color match test before adding would be best. It's pretty easy and can give them a ball park number to work from.

Since your CYA is low, you can float a couple of pucks in a puck floater while you're gone for a week and it should be just fine. Just keep track of your CYA.

I did this as a "vacation simulation" for a week, and it worked great and kept my FC level right where it should be. I love the pucks, just can't use them all of the time. For short periods they are just fine though

Thanks everyone for the help. This will work. I worked hard (three half drains) to get the CYA from extremely high to 30. Now if that gives me the ability to occasionally use a puck or two when I am away. That will help. The solar cover is also a very good idea. My wife prefers looking at the water, but if we are on vacation, no one can see it. Also, pushing the FC higher just before leaving it.

My next project will be using the vitamin C to remove the stain (tested a small patch and it looks very good). I'm sure I will be asking for help again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.