new solar system install help

Sep 25, 2015
oshawa/ontario
hi this is my first post so take it easy on me, I installed a solar pool heater, but I am confused on where and which way to hook up the feed and return line, I followed the install sheet but everything I see on line has me second guessing the install, I have the feed at the low side and return and the top side, but both on the same side, all I have seen show the feed into bottom and return top opposite side, I have posted a pic with white lines shown how I routed them to under the deck can someone please put this to rest for me, thank you. also where would I install a vacuum breaker, also do I really need one, some site yes and no.thanks again for any help, I really want this to work as best as I can get it.
pool6 - Copy.jpg

Some your confusion is because there are two kinds of panels. AG panels generally have the header blocked so both the inlet and outlet can be on the same end. IG panels are open so you need them on opposite ends.

you get sun up there? :cool:

anyhow the water is being pumped thru all three panels in series or in parallel?

my old house had these panels in parallel, we had one large header (connected together) feeding all the panels and one large footer (connected together). cold water in the footer and warmed water out the header.

I cannot see how your system works with three panels in either series on parallel, here's the parallel set up

P6230157.jpg

same looking as what ya got posted there, my headers all connected together, it is a eco save 30 by 10 foot long system, but like I said I got the in at the bottom and the return at the top on the same side.

you dont, the top and the bottom on the diagram above are the left and right on your set-up. or am i missing something?

if ya where to turn your picture sideways, so the header pipes are facing say north and south, my in pipe would be directly below the red outlet pipe on the same side. I got to take more pic when I get home tonight. I want this to work and get it right, I will post later, thanks again ibreslin.

if ya where to turn your picture sideways, so the header pipes are facing say north and south, my in pipe would be directly below the red outlet pipe on the same side. I got to take more pic when I get home tonight. I want this to work and get it right, I will post later, thanks again ibreslin.

maybe I'm getting confused here but...

the way you sketched the white lines on your photo has them both connected to the same header/footer, the water will not pass thru the panel capillaries in that set-up, only directly along the header to the return thus not letting the panels do their thing.

yup, on the same side header one at the bottom and one up top, in between where the headers connect the sheets said to also install a supplied washer to water will make its way over to the other header via the tiny tubes that go from one side to the other, p_ecosaver_d4.jpghere is what I could find on line and how mine is connected.

yup, on the same side header one at the bottom and one up top, in between where the headers connect the sheets said to also install a supplied washer to water will make its way over to the other header via the tiny tubes that go from one side to the other, View attachment 47509here is what I could find on line and how mine is connected.

only works with 2-4-6 panels tho, you have three dont you?

not only that, the flow may well be restricted in that set up, move the feed line to the left hand header bottom and connect the panels together at the headers. here's something similar to yours, common header in on the right, common header out on the left.

61CaZEgOlYL._SY355_.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have four, I took two off I didn't have the room, am I still ok ? will there set up that they show work ?

yes but I don't think its intended to work that way, flow will be restricted due to all the water having to pass thru one panel at a time vs water flow split between four panels when you have the common headers.

so your water travels right to left to right to left to right?

keep in mind that the water circulates thru these panels many many times before any noticeable warming.

uh, that's bites, so I got to figure a newer way to re use the panel I took out, and re run my hoses so they are at opposite ends and one in the bottom and one at the top away from each other, ok, good weather this weekend and the family is gone, good project for myself.

uh, that's bites, so I got to figure a newer way to re use the panel I took out, and re run my hoses so they are at opposite ends and one in the bottom and one at the top away from each other, ok, good weather this weekend and the family is gone, good project for myself.

either/or, with four panels tho, the flow may well be restricted in your "in series" set-up.

my suggestion would be to keep it at three panels and run a pvc pipe from the lower end of the left hand header to the bottom right of your array and connect your existing feeder hose to the new pvc pipe.

you will have to connect the headers together tho, two connections on the RH (warm) header, two connections on the LH (cold) header. i really don't think it matters all that much to have the return at the high point, but it does make sense.

ok that's what I am going to do this weekend and post some pic, inlet will go in the bottom right hand corner and the outlet hose will be in the top left hand corner and back into the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah that looks like my set up but with only three panels. But I think the opposite end where that show it not connected, mine is, where does this leave me ?

ok that's what I am going to do this weekend and post some pic, inlet will go in the bottom right hand corner and the outlet hose will be in the top left hand corner and back into the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah that looks like my set up but with only three panels. But I think the opposite end where that show it not connected, mine is, where does this leave me ?

sorry, I've totally confused the issue. I'm thinking now that you have the panel that is pictured in post 17 above. with the header blocked in the middle at one end thus water flows right to left, then left to right in each panel so no matter how many panels you have, your current set up should work. only downside is lack of flow but perhaps not a big deal with an above ground pool.

you got a manufacturer and part number?

here's a pic of what I NOW believe you have ('cept just a blank where they show a diverter valve), I never even knew these panels were out there...

ag_solarbear_system_schematic_diagram.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.