Need Advice on Energy Efficient Pump

May 18, 2008
Sacramento, CA area
We are in the process of starting up a pool at a house we bought last year (see my thread w/pics about this here: help-giant-pond-that-s-supposed-to-be-a-pool-pics-added-t5626-20.html). It's in-ground, gunite, about 28 x 14, and approximately 15,000 gallons. We haven't tried starting any of the equipment yet. A pool technician is supposed to come by tomorrow afternoon to look things over and give us some advice. I'm worried about the pump and whether it's going to work, as well as how much of an energy guzzler it may be.

What we currently have is a Hayward (manufactured by Leslie's) HydraMax II. It says it's self-priming. The motor says it's a Magnatek Century Centurion, and lists 1 HP. There is a sand filter that looks maybe fairly new. The info on it says it's a Leslie's Stay-Clear Sand Filter. It lists effective filtration area as 3.14 ft., the filtration rate as 20 GPM/ft., the design flow rate as 62 GPM, and the maximum working pressure as 50 PSI. There is also a Hayward Vari-Flo valve between the pump and filter that lists rated pressure as 50 PSI and rated flow as 75 GPM.

Now, IF the pump turns out to be non-functional, or IF it ends up being a real energy guzzler, we will want to replace it, and would appreciate some advice about this. What would you guys recommend we replace it with that would be both energy efficient and not cost us an arm and a leg to start out with? I've been trying to google some results, but as I don't really know much about what I'm looking at, I feel lost about trying to figure out what we might need. So, advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated! And if any more info is needed, please let me know and I'll post it.

Thanks so much!

Hi WaterWoman, I'm not an expert, I'm sure you will hear from them soon. Living in CA as well (SoCal) the state requires if you go larger than 1HP to install a 2 speed pump. This may require a new timer and possibly electrical if you don't already have 220. Also check with your electricity provider, they probably offer reabates if you replace your pump with a model on their list. Here in SoCal, Edison offers $200 rebates on certain models, could help ease the strain on the pocket book.

Last, you may want to search Intelliflo in the pumping station forum. It's an expensive unit but some folks are seeing it pay for itself in 18-24 months, ymmv.

The Pentair IntelliFlo is really the stand out of the high efficiency pumps. Of the really efficient pumps it is the only one there is a reasonable amount of experience with.

For quite a bit less than an IntelliFlo, you can get a two speed pump. That will get you about half the energy savings that an IntelliFlo will get, but for a far smaller premium over a regular single speed pump. One of the best two speed pumps is the Pentair WhisperFlo (which is also available as a single speed pump).

Hayward has a nice template you can work through when matching a new pump to your system. It can be found here and is useful for any brand of pump you might consider. I would also encourage you to go with a 2 speed or variable speed.

Many times you don't need new electrical for a 2 speed, as you can wire the low speed ON all the time, and then wire in the high speed on your existing timer. Someone speak up if I am wrong as I don't have a 2 speed (wish I did).

Template is here:

http://www.haywardnet.com/pdfs/Pump_filter_sizing.pdf

Lee

Thanks for the advice, you guys! We're thinking that a 2-speed, maybe the Whisperflo, might be a good choice for us. I'll check the Hayward template, too. (Thanks!) The Intelliflo sounds awesome, but it might be more than we really need. We don't have a spa or a waterfall or a fountain. Just the pool. But if we go with a 2-speed rather than a 1-speed, we could get a rebate from the power company (PG&E offers $100). I'm wondering about the HP. The current pump is 1 HP. Is that a good size for our pool (about 15,000 gallons)? Should we just go with that? Or could we go with a lower HP (like 3/4) in a 2-speed pump? Do they even make 2-speeds in anything lower than 1 HP? I hate to sound so clueless, but hey, I am! :-D Appreciate the suggestions!

I think you'd be fine with a 1 hp 2 speed pump. The beauty of a two speed pump is that you run it on the low setting the majority of the time, and on the high setting when you're vaccuuming the pool or dealing with anything else that requires more flow. Running it on low setting is where the energy savings come in.

Oh, I love Nashville! Remember it well. 8) I lived out in the country in DeKalb County near Smithville, home of the Fiddler's Jamboree. We used to drive to Nashville all the time. Great city! We moved out here to California about 10 years ago. I love it here, too, but I will always miss springtime in Tennessee (my favorite time of year).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
WaterWoman said:
Oh, I love Nashville! Remember it well. 8) I lived out in the country in DeKalb County near Smithville, home of the Fiddler's Jamboree. We used to drive to Nashville all the time. Great city! We moved out here to California about 10 years ago. I love it here, too, but I will always miss springtime in Tennessee (my favorite time of year).

"When it's Iris Time, down in Tennessee, I'll be com-ing back, to stay..." :wink: Springtime and fall are my two favorite times of year here. I'd like winter too, if we got more snow. Always pretty when the dogwoods and redbuds start blooming. :)

Oh, I know about living in the country! I was raised in Jamestown up in Fentress county. Back then, we only had like 5000 people living in the whole county. We had two high schools.. :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.