Pool light not working

TimG

May 4, 2016
Laytonsville
Hi, need some expert advice! I have an inground pool with a 12v single lighting system. The transformer is the Intermatic PX300 running to an old American Products R300 BC light housing. (now Pentair Amerlite I think). After running for roughly 5 mins the LED bulb stops working, give it 10 mins break and switch back on and it works again...for 5 mins at most. So what I have done so far:

- replaced the transformer
- replaced the LED light
- checker voltage line input and output at the transformer before and after failure
- checked voltage at bulb housing

Everything seems fine. The only assumption I can come to is there is some fuse somewhere that is heating up and then switching off. Only other observation is that within the pool light housing itself there appears to be a small wire/something encased in cardboard sticking out of the hardened gel area around the light socket base? So aside from smashing it all to pieces in rage please advise a complete novice!

Thanks

LED lights of all kinds do contain electronic circuitry. My guess would be that the Electronics for some reason get too hot and switch off. Once the temperature drops the Circuit comes on again. Is the light properly underwater or are you testing it in the air ? Most pool lights may only be turned on when they're underwater. It can't be a fuse - if a fuse melts it's not coming on again. It can't be a Circuit breaker either, as you'd have to reset it to start it over. Does the transformer get hot ? There couod be some kind of temperature switch on that one.

Is the socket that the LED bulb screws into corroded? If so, clean it up and try the light again. Be sure you are screwing the light bulb all the way into the socket. As Linn said, do not run the light out of the water for more than a few seconds, it will heat up fast.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.