slaming pool for days

Apr 17, 2009
opened pool to swamp. slammed by forum. using test kit i bought here i have seen little success. my numbers are ph-7.6 fc-32 cc-. 25 ch-100 TA-120 cya-80
i have maintained this for 3 days. sweep pool daily. backwashed daily. overnight it lost no chlorine and keep numbers from night before. i am swg and have 3000 salt level but turned off last night for test. i can barely see shallow end through green.
any help would be great!

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Hi Donny! That is a bummer you have not seen any improvement. Could you post pictures of it when you started and where it is at now? Looking down at your steps is the best place to take the pics. Use Photo bucket with the IMG code so the pics show up in your post.

How often are you testing and adding FC each day? What are you using to add the FC?

Lets see if we can figure out this puzzle. The pics will help us the most.

Kim:cat:

Kim beat me to the enter key!!

You're doing great! Have you been taking pictures each day? The best place is steps or a ladder that goes down into the water. That way you can see the progress from day to day.

You have left the SWG off during the SLaM? If not you won't see any FC loss.

How often have you been checking the FC?

Also, feel free to post those pics. We love 'em and might be able to spot something that needs addressing.

Oh yeah ... THAT's green. Remember that 3 days is, by average SLAM timelines, very short for a SLAM - especially for a pool that is a green swamp. Those easily go 1-2 weeks. There's also no need to do the OCLT yet, it's way too early. Don't bother with it until the water is clear. I would also recommend adding your pool info to your signature which may help give us some more ideas. Later, make sure to look behind the light niche if you have one. With a SLAM, patience is key.

Lastly, what's your location? Please update when you can. Also, where do you get your fill water from (city, well, etc)?

Ok thanks will update later. New county water last year. Been doing this for 15 years and this is by far the hardest time i have had. Calcium level is low would this make difference? What should it be for vinyl?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Low calcium is not an issue for a vinyl pool which yours appears to be (0-300). But I am concerned about the new county water. I hope it doesn't have excessive metals in it. Regardless, the first step is the SLAM, and you appear to have the right numbers (FC for your CYA, etc). Now it's just going to take a while for the bleach to do it's job. Once the algae is killed and filtered-out, if the water becomes a pretty, clear (emerald) green, we may have to discuss the metals issue. Hopefully not, but we'll cross that bridge later.

Okay. Well, after 5 years, that may be something to consider (deep cleaning) as the SLAM goes on. For now, try to hang in there with the bleach and maintaining the FC level along with everything else you've been doing. Keep us posted over the course of the next few days and hopefully the water will begin to lighten and/or transition to show you sings of improvement. We'll watch for any other changes or questions you may have.

+1 to what everyone is saying. Be patient, as long as the green is not from copper, you will see results soon. Have you used any copper based products (things with 'blue' in the name, copper based algaecide)? If there was a lot of algae, it will take a few days before you see the magical green-to-blue transformation. I personally would not worry about deep cleaning your filter at this point, save that step till the water is looking blue. It will give you something productive to do during that dreaded period waiting for the water tpo go from blue to clear.

Donny here is a good testing schedule. See if it is doable with life happening:

-first cup of coffer-test and add

Home, take shoes off-test add

Dinner, glass of wine-test add

right before bed-test add

That will be 4 times. See if this works for you.

The home one is a good picture taking time.

Kim:cat:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.