Treating cold water

deenamccauley

LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I'm getting a lot of grief from the "pool guy" who supplies some of our chemicals.
He says that until I heat the pool my test readings are not accurate.
I've never heard of that before but he's got me doubting myself.
We are not opening until the 15th so I did not want to turn on the heat until this Sunday.

Is there any truth to the "pool guys" cold water theroy?
FC 12
CC 0
Ph 7.3
Alk 100
CYA 20ish
CH 300
Water temp 10 C

Tell me again what 10 celsius is in Farenheit? :mrgreen:

No, you can test the numbers, CH and CYA will likely be inaccurate but the others are fine. Several hours of circulation prior to first test are essential, however. For the CYA, just allow that sample of water to come to room temp before you test. PH, TA and FC you can test at cold temps.

LOL....it's about 50 F, I think. I just call it immediate hypothermia.
The pool has been circulating for about a week. CYA is in as of Wednesday so I'll test it next week.
We are turning the heat on tomorrow to make sure we have time to fix anything before the long weekend opening.
Thanks so much for your help.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Tell me again what 10 celsius is in Farenheit? :mrgreen:

No, you can test the numbers, CH and CYA will likely be inaccurate but the others are fine. Several hours of circulation prior to first test are essential, however. For the CYA, just allow that sample of water to come to room temp before you test. PH, TA and FC you can test at cold temps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.