New to Pools - Pool Closed for FOUR YEARS.....HELP!

That's why we use the sock method. :)
I know, but the last time I used a sock I got over aggressive with my squeezing and squeezed a hole in the sock and some granules came out and bleached my plaster. For me it's the sock-in-a-skimmer method, that bleached out spot is all I can see now :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CSI indicates how saturated the water is with calcium. A negative CSI means the water is low on calcium and is looking for calcium to dissolve. When the CSI is positive it means there is lots of calcium in the water that it wants to get rid of by depositing it somewhere.

When CSI is negative it means the water wants to dissolve calcium into the water. For a pool that has mortar like grout between tiles or plaster, it means the mortar is dissolved by the water. For a liner pool a negative CSI is not really an issue since there is nothing it can dissolve.

If the CSI is positive it means the water wants to deposit calcium on the pool surfaces. That can be an issue for any pool because it can deposit calcium in the form of scale in various places like in your heater tubes which will ruin them.

That is why pool math says a low CSI is bad for plaster or tile pools and high CSI is bad for any pool.

So the hypothesis is that a low CSI may dissolve the white stuff without hurting the liner. I personally find that unlikely but you never know.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

UPDATED NUMBERS:

OK, so I've read some of the CSI and LSI stuff and re-took my numbers this morning.

FC: 13.5 (a little high right now - will let trickle down today. was letting it slam one more night)
PH: 7.6
CH: 125
TA: 70
CYA: 28 - going to increase this to 35. Choosing 35 because 30 is borderline and i should really stay above 30 so 35 gives me a cushion if it falls some.

CSI: -0.51 - so I believe I want to raise this up some, correct...or NO, I want to leave it low like this to see if it will eat away at that mess on the bottom?

That CSI reading material was a bit heavy.....and definitely more than my brain chose to absorb last night! LOL

If all your other numbers are right CSI will fall in line. For me I don't really try to adjust CSI specifically. I just worry about the other stuff and only sweat CSI if it goes high. For your specific pool and numbers, I would not worry about that number. Yes it is on the low side. But for a liner pool low does not really matter. That is only a problem for a plaster pool or for tile or other things that are using mortar. And it may indeed be that a low CSI will dissolve your white blob.

I would leave the CSI alone unless it starts getting high like over +.3 because high CSI will generate scale which is a problem for any pool.

If all your other numbers are right CSI will fall in line. For me I don't really try to adjust CSI specifically. I just worry about the other stuff and only sweat CSI if it goes high. For your specific pool and numbers, I would not worry about that number. Yes it is on the low side. But for a liner pool low does not really matter. That is only a problem for a plaster pool or for tile or other things that are using mortar. And it may indeed be that a low CSI will dissolve your white blob.

I would leave the CSI alone unless it starts getting high like over +.3 because high CSI will generate scale which is a problem for any pool.

OK, thank you so much :) :) :)

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Looks pretty good to me. I would just raise the cya up to about 40ppm. Nothing really bad happens when that drops from rain, etc. You might lose a little more FC to the sun.
Oh, ok. Even though it's only 61 segrees, my kids are begging to go in the water since it's nice today. Is there a waiting period for swimming after adding the CYA? I didnt see anything on the CYA section.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.