Can't keep my Chlorine....

Needsdecaf

Jun 28, 2014
The Woodlands, TX
So, hello all! Time for another season here in Houston!

We've had a TON of rain over the last few weeks. We had a major storm two weeks ago that dumped 12" of rain in 24 hours! Since then we have had numerous storms that have probably added up to another 3-4 inches. Yuck!

Trying to get the pool in line. Stats are in my signature. The pool looks sparkling clear, and no evidence of algae, however I'm struggling to keep chlorine in the pool. I'll admit I've been lazy and really just testing FC, CC and pH and I've had to constantly increase my SWG up to 90% now. Never had it at 90%. Of course, with all the rain, my salt got down to 2,400. That's back up now, and here are my results using TF-100:

FC = 1.5 (1.44 on my ColorQ)
Cc = 0 (0.05 on my ColorQ)
TC = 1.5
CH = 100
TA = 50
CYA = 0

So I'll need to bring up my CH with some Calcium Chloride, and my CYA up with some stabilizer. Guess I shouldn't be surprised with CYA being zero (literally filled to the top of the tube and it was completely clear) that my FC is disappearing so fast. I'll have to bring my TA up a little too, but I do have some baking soda.

What do you all recommend for Calcium Chloride and CYA? And do you think that with the CYA and CH up that my FC level will stabilize? I've run my pool around 3-4 but it seems by pool math that might be a bit high? Note, my filter / SWG run times are not changed from last year. I also just changed my cartridges and cleaned my SWG.

Thanks!

Your problem is the lack of CYA. For a SWG it needs to be in the 70-80ppm range. The sun is burning off the FC as fast as the SWG can make it.

I would leave the TA. But get the CH up a good bit (although it have nothing to do with the chlorine, it just needs to be higher so you do not pull calcium out of your pool surface).

Success!

I got two bottles of conditioner, used one and got the CYA to 35. FC was still 1.5, and I had one drop's worth of CC. I put in another half gallon, and put the SWG on super chlorinate for
3 hours while I went to dinner.

When I came back, CYA was 80 and FC was 8.5!! Whoops!!!!

Did an overnight test and lost nothing! Woo hoo!

So now, what should I aim for? I was running around 4 last season..,think that might be too high. Can I let it dip down to 1.5 to 2.0 during the day? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is your pump/SWG run time? If you are running 24/7 then you MIGHT be able to target the bottom of the scale. But really, I would not recommend it. No reason to take a chance at letting the green meanie take hold.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.