Swamp battle

Apr 23, 2016
easton pa
Hello all I believe this is my first post. I've read at detail what I need to do to clear up my pool that wasn't closed properly last year. I didn't create a signature or anything yet, and I just ordered the right test kit from this website.

My question is, I am currently backwashing about every two hours as the pressure starts at about 12 and rises to about 22 in two hours. I really want to be able to let the filter run overnight but I am afraid it can't be left unattended for a complete overnight. I have been testing with the Taylor K1004 and this does not give me a CYA reading, but I added a half gallon of muriatic acid earlier this morning after discovering the PH wasn't even registering below 8.something (the tester doesnt show that high. Any suggestions to let my filter keep on filtering?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Do you have a multi-valve on your filter with a recirculate option? That would bypass the filter.

Remember that a filter will not eliminate the algae. You have a chemistry problem and need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process once your test kit arrives.

Fill out that signature so we know what you have.

I am not sure. Would multi valve be the handle i move around to switch between backwash and filter?

Maybe ... if you just turn it around to various settings, then yes. If you turn a handle and then pull it up to backwash, then no.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, just saw your new post. That will keep your water moving. You can add some bleach daily while waiting for the test kit, but no knowing the pool size I hesitate to say how much.

Thank you for the quick responses. The pool is such a custom shape, I have no Idea how many gallons it is. My best guess is about 18-20,000 gallons. Without getting into my long story, just yet, I just moved back in and need to re measure the pool to estimate its size. More to folllow, thanks for the help!!

I am not sure. Would multi valve be the handle i move around to switch between backwash and filter?
MultiportPush-pull
DaveNJ-MultiPositionValve.jpg
meatloaf-PushPullMainValve.jpg

If you have the multiport, recirculate bypasses the filter completely.

Hi, I had to dig this one up. All debris is out after a month of backwashing, scrubbing, vaccumming..... Now for some fine tuning.

I still need to backwash once every three hours or so, this weekend I'm going to take the filter apart and clean the panels, which I know will help. My question is since I have zero cya, how would you proceed to raise it knowing that i need to backwash so often. Or should I just wait till the weekend till i clean the panels

fc 9
cc 1
ch 300
ta 70
ph 7.5
cya 0!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can buy liquid conditioner. It is much more expensive, but you should have as few moving parts, chemically, as you can during a SLAM.

If you start your CYA around 40 and get the proper amount of FC for that, then you backwash, and end up at (say) 30, you should still have the proper FC level for that CYA. But then you have to change your target because the CYA dropped.

Basically, there's no accounting for frequent testing during a SLAM. Chlorine every 15 minutes until it holds, then less often as needed to stay above your target. If you are backwashing a lot, you will need to test for CYA once a day also. Try to keep the CYA around 30. Liquid conditioner will allow you to keep your SLAM as even as possible.

You put the needed amount of granular CYA in a sock or two and hang them either from a broomtick over a return or put the sock into the skimmer and let it dissolve right in to the water. You can speed it up by squooshing it in your hands now and then.

Hope this helps?

Yip :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.