Replace Superpump Motor With a 2-Speed?

fuzzy_dba

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 4, 2007
NC
We have a plain old Hayward 1HP Superpump, a single speed that's 4 years old. Model #SP2607LX10 (1.1 service factor). Running it 24x7 for the last few years (the PB's recommendation) caused a $75-$85 increase in the electric bill @230V/6.8amp draw. Duke Power has raised the rates (naturally!) and I'm thinking about going to a 2 speed pump, but just replacing the motor.

I've also cut the pump back so it runs from 1:00 PM until 8:00 PM (the heavy swim load time) and again from 1:00 AM until 8:00 AM, primarily so that the water flow through the SWG to keep the pool chlorinated both with and without the sun.

Will a 2 speed pump running on low speed provide the flow that the AquaRite SWG requires?
Can I just replace the single 3450RPM motor with a 3450/1725 RPM motor?

What are the recommendations from the experts here?

Are the AO Smith motors still good motors? The motor on the pump is an AO Smith and they were good pump motors when I was in HVAC, but that was decades ago!

If replacing the 1 speed with a 2 speed makes sense, what are good sources?

Thanks for all of your help!!

I replaced my booster motor with an A.O. Smith Energy Efficient motor and I am very please with it.

If you have an A.O. Smith motor you can go to their website and they will point you to comparable replacement motors. I got the energy efficient one because it used 25% less power for the same water flow and is much quieter to run.

My main pump is a 2-speed with the lower speed rated at .33 hp (its in my sig but I can't see right now) and provides enough flow for my AutoPilot cell to work. I run it on high for a couple hours each day to skim the water surface clean, then on low for 7 hours for chlorination and filtering.

dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.