Replace pump with 2-speed

IL_WS

Sep 18, 2012
IL, NW of Chicago
I have a pump with labels Hayward SW15851X20TL and AO Smith Century 1081 SP1520Z1ESC. I want to investigate replacing the pump motor with a 2-stage pump, but don't know how to research what is compatible. Any guidance, suggestions, or questions are welcome.

All the info from the motor plate

FR R48Y
Type SP
HP 2.0
SF SPL
Code H
RPM 3450
Volts 115
HZ 60
Class B
PH 1
Encl DP
Amps 15.0
Amb 50
Time Cont
Form PHM

The current pump is 2HP. Is there a rough estimate way to determine if a smaller size would be adequate?

Well, it is not really a 2HP. The fact that the Service Factor (SF) is listed as SPL, means that the SF less than 1.0. So, it might be closer to 1.5 SFHP, but I am not 100% sure now what is the appropriate replacement motor.

You can certainly go to a smaller pump (1HP is generally plenty), but the motor needs to be at least the size as the impeller in the pump. So to go to a smaller motor, would also likely require a smaller impeller.

Can you confirm that your motor is wired for 115V and not 230V?

Based on reading another thread considering 2-speed vs. variable speed pump, I checked out my electric supplier (ComEd) for rebates. There is a $400 rebate for in-ground pools only. I'm sure there is a reason somewhere, but I immediately focus on the injustice since I have an above ground pool.

I'm in no rush to upgrade my pump. It's only in it's 3rd season, but if the cost breakeven point is under 5 years, I would rather do it sooner rather than later.

Another thing I'm considering is going from my current 2HP (or possibly 1.5 SFHP) to a much smaller unit. I don't have solar panels, a spa, or any water features. I use the pump for circulation, cleaning, and heating (gas).

I have read comments that said a 1/2 HP pump would be adequate in seemingly similar setups, but how can I determine in advance?

I would suggest sticking with a 1HP 2-speed as many of the AG pumps have the low service factor ... in fact the way that manufacturers play with the numbers, a 1/2HP, 3/4HP and 1HP all could be identical to each other.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.