Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replace pump with 2-speed

1. Back To Top    #1

Replace pump with 2-speed

I have a pump with labels Hayward SW15851X20TL and AO Smith Century 1081 SP1520Z1ESC. I want to investigate replacing the pump motor with a 2-stage pump, but don't know how to research what is compatible. Any guidance, suggestions, or questions are welcome.
    24' round AG, vinyl liner, 13500 gallons, 150 ft^2 Voyager SwimPro cartridge filter, Jandy Legacy 175,000 BTU heater, 2-speed Hayward SP15922S, Pool Rover Jr cleaner, July 2012 install, TF100 test kit
    John 1:12 "But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replace pump with 2-speed

Can you provide more information off the motor plate: HP, SF, etc

I am not able to easily find the number you posted. You just need to match the frame type (48Y I think) and the SFHP (SF*HP) for the high speed.
    Likely you could get one of these, but I am not sure which one:
    Power Flo LX Pump Motors - INYOPools.com
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

All the info from the motor plate

FR R48Y
    Type SP
    HP 2.0
    SF SPL
    Code H
    RPM 3450
    Volts 115
    HZ 60
    Class B
    PH 1
    Encl DP
    Amps 15.0
    Amb 50
    Time Cont
    Form PHM

The current pump is 2HP. Is there a rough estimate way to determine if a smaller size would be adequate?
    24' round AG, vinyl liner, 13500 gallons, 150 ft^2 Voyager SwimPro cartridge filter, Jandy Legacy 175,000 BTU heater, 2-speed Hayward SP15922S, Pool Rover Jr cleaner, July 2012 install, TF100 test kit
    John 1:12 "But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God"

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, it is not really a 2HP. The fact that the Service Factor (SF) is listed as SPL, means that the SF less than 1.0. So, it might be closer to 1.5 SFHP, but I am not 100% sure now what is the appropriate replacement motor.

You can certainly go to a smaller pump (1HP is generally plenty), but the motor needs to be at least the size as the impeller in the pump. So to go to a smaller motor, would also likely require a smaller impeller.

Can you confirm that your motor is wired for 115V and not 230V?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I do know that it is wired for 115V.

Does a different size impeller imply that they may not mate together, or something else?

Also, does anyone know what the R represents in the frame R48Y?

6. Back To Top    #6

Based on reading another thread considering 2-speed vs. variable speed pump, I checked out my electric supplier (ComEd) for rebates. There is a $400 rebate for in-ground pools only. I'm sure there is a reason somewhere, but I immediately focus on the injustice since I have an above ground pool.

I'm in no rush to upgrade my pump. It's only in it's 3rd season, but if the cost breakeven point is under 5 years, I would rather do it sooner rather than later.

Another thing I'm considering is going from my current 2HP (or possibly 1.5 SFHP) to a much smaller unit. I don't have solar panels, a spa, or any water features. I use the pump for circulation, cleaning, and heating (gas).

I have read comments that said a 1/2 HP pump would be adequate in seemingly similar setups, but how can I determine in advance?

7. Back To Top    #7

I would suggest sticking with a 1HP 2-speed as many of the AG pumps have the low service factor ... in fact the way that manufacturers play with the numbers, a 1/2HP, 3/4HP and 1HP all could be identical to each other.
    Jason, TFP Moderator