Can you get two different colors of pebble tech in same pool

Mar 30, 2016
houston
Hi we are about to start digging our new pool on Thursday. We have been trying to pick a Pebble Tech color.. I like Blue Granite in the 4 foot plus water but not on the sun shelf hot tub or steps. Is it possible to get white diamonds in the shallow parts (sun shelf, steps and hot tub)and a darker color everywhere else?

You might have better transitional areas if you used Blue Surf with the Blue Granite. But, it will just depend on the application/applicators of the White Diamond. I do believe there have been other builds on here that used a sandy color for the shelf and then a different color for the pool. I just can't recall who though.

If you know who your plaster subcontractor is, they would be the ones to start talking to now. Contact them sooner rather than later to avoid mistakes. They may have other color solutions to your liking.

As Jason said, anything is possible with enough $$$ but I too would be hard pressed to see how they could do the transitions without the edges looking shabby. P-Tec is applied like your gunite shell, it's a shotcrete process. This does not lend itself well to precision/detail work. It may be possible if there is a well-constructed stone or tile barrier between the two colors but it will definitely be way more complicated to shoot and require extra labor and setup costs.

You do not want it to dry out, they start to fill right away after application. You have to remember they will also have to clean out the tank/pump/hose of one color and then mix and spray the 2nd color.

At this point, we are speculating. You would be better off talking to the installers.

Yes it can be done, it was actually fairly popular in the 90s. The wet deck, steps, etc is shot in first. Mixer, pump and hoses are cleaned out while pebble is being finished. When the pebble is exposed the second color is shot in and finished, the transition is usually on the outside radius of wet deck of the cove it all depends on the design of pool. The upcharge is substantial since two color pools are normally the only job done that day as opposed to two or three jobs.

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk

I thought I would chime in since I am also in the Houston area. I've been reading for a while but never posted. We are anticipating our dig will begin the latter part of this week since there is no rain forecasted.
I saw several builds here that used the brown shades on the sun shelf and that made up my mind. Our PB said the charge would only be $450 which is for the additional slurry box. He did give me a strange look when I requested it and said they had never done it except for a beach entry and then encouraged me to move forward with it because he wanted to see what it would look like. Now I'm nervous!
We are using Wetedge Satin in Northshore Gold on the shelf and adjacent bench/ledge and Northshore Tahoe for the remainder of the pool. The two color samples look great together.

I thought I would chime in since I am also in the Houston area. I've been reading for a while but never posted. We are anticipating our dig will begin the latter part of this week since there is no rain forecasted.
I saw several builds here that used the brown shades on the sun shelf and that made up my mind. Our PB said the charge would only be $450 which is for the additional slurry box. He did give me a strange look when I requested it and said they had never done it except for a beach entry and then encouraged me to move forward with it because he wanted to see what it would look like. Now I'm nervous!
We are using Wetedge Satin in Northshore Gold on the shelf and adjacent bench/ledge and Northshore Tahoe for the remainder of the pool. The two color samples look great together.

Hi KK...How'd your pool turn out? I'd love to see pictures, my husband and I are considering doing this as well! Thanks!

Hi we are about to start digging our new pool on Thursday. We have been trying to pick a Pebble Tech color.. I like Blue Granite in the 4 foot plus water but not on the sun shelf hot tub or steps. Is it possible to get white diamonds in the shallow parts (sun shelf, steps and hot tub)and a darker color everywhere else?

I was going to have white diamond on the main part of the pool and desert gold on the sun shelf. Desert gold would give a sand/beach color on the sun shelf. Pool Builder said this would increase the cost by $400 - the cost increase was due to time required to cleanout the PebbleTec truck/hoses/etc to mix and shoot the second color.

We have not started the build yet (waiting on permits), but the wife said the $400 was better spent elsewhere - so it's not something we are doing anyway. $400 is not a lot in the big picture, but it buys us a Color Logic LED light for the sun shelf.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m curious what colors you went with if you did the two tone. I just came across your post & I’m in similar situation. I like White
Diamonds for my tanning ledge & possibly the steps too & Blue Surf for the rest of the pool. But I can’t find any examples of what I want. I’d you did the two tone I’d really like to see some pics please. They are suppose to be here Wed to do first spray of plaster.
Thanks!

Reactions: dianehaynes6
I’m curious what colors you went with if you did the two tone. I just came across your post & I’m in similar situation. I like White
Diamonds for my tanning ledge & possibly the steps too & Blue Surf for the rest of the pool. But I can’t find any examples of what I want. I’d you did the two tone I’d really like to see some pics please. They are suppose to be here Wed to do first spray of plaster.
Thanks!
Did you go with the white and blue? We like the stonescape Aqua Cool for steps and French Grey for pool, but are a little concerned about thee transition and look since we can't find any pictures. If you did, could you post a picture? Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.