New member, new pool owner!!

May 3, 2016
Greenville, SC
Hey all, just wanted to introduce myself as a new member here at TFPC and also get a little initial advice. My name is Cory and my wife and I just had an AGP installed on Tuesday of last week. It's an 18' Outback Southport (7,180 gal). I also added some initial info to my signature. We're in Greenville, SC and our pool was filled good ol' city water right out of the hose pipe.

We're first time pool owners, so we are certainly learning as we go with the help of this forum and other online resources. Pool School has been a major help!!!!

Immediately after install we started filling it up and I've been running the filter system for about 8 hours a day so far with no chemicals of any kind added. We're also in the process of building a deck and doing some other work in the backyard. We may not swim in this pool for another month or so, but I have to imagine it's not wise to let the pool go long without any chemicals in it.

Soooo....I ordered my TF-100 test kit today but what should I be doing right now to get out front of any potential issues? I want to get off on the right foot (and probably need my test kit to really do that), but should I go ahead and start with some initial treating right now?

This is 7th day the pool has been installed and we've had 2 back-to-back days of some serious rain/thunderstorms in our area. Looking forward to learning much more here from you guys!!

Welcome to TFP.

Run down to WalMart and pick up some stabilizer, also known as CYA. Use pool math to calculate how much you need to get to 30 and add it to the pool by placing it in an old sock and hanging it in front of a return.

I would also recommend pouring a quart of bleach in the pool each day until you get your test kit and can dial in to what you specifically need.

Hey there Cory. :handwave: Some storms last night, huh??

Please add the state to your profile on the left because there are a few Greenvilles to pick from and your personal climate affects how we guide you sometimes.

Thanks!
Yippee :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.