Can't find sch 40 sweep elbows...

deanrinehart

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 28, 2009
Bethlehem, PA
...and I want to do the plumbing tomorrow.

My pad calls for 15 bends, 9 on pressure, 6 on suction. I have all of the 90 degree bends I'd need, but am wondering if it's worth it to find sweeps instead.

None of the plumbing supply shops around here carry long els or sweeps in a pressure fitting. I'd have to order them, and the price difference I'd assume might be in the $3-$4 per item range.

I can get 45 degree bends...is it worth the extra time to make my own sweeps out of 45s vs. using the 90s rather than using sweeps? What would you do?

Pad is about 14 feet from the pool, using a Jandy ePump through a DEV60 and LXi heater using 2" piping.

Thanks!

Thanks everybody...

Does anyone have an opinion on whether I should look more or just go with my standard els? I can't find head loss calcs for anything but standard units, so I'm not sure how much of an advantage I get anyway.

And, as my neighbor here just mentioned...it's not like it's that expensive to replumb a 90 with a sweep as long as you keep enough space between fittings.

I'd probably just go with what you've got. A standard 2" 90 adds the equivalent of 5.5' of straight pipe. The long radius elbow would add 4.3'. Difference of 1.2' x 15 elbows = 18' of 2" pipe. At 75 GPM that would add an additional 1.6' to your TDH vs. sweep 90's.

Reactions: Palaestra
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.