cheshirenc

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 20, 2014
Outer Banks, NC
Opened 2nd season using TF method. It was slightly green at opening but I'm sure it is due to our area hitting 85 degrees Christmas and then snowing 3 days later.

started the SLAM process and green cleared less than two days but water was cloudy. I've continued the SLAM now an additional two weeks and have passed the overnight chlorine level for almost a week. Water is still cloudy so I'm still keeping it at SLAM level. I've not had any CC for several days and prior to that no more than .5

currently:

FC 25 (my SLAM calculations I should be at 24?)
CC 0
PH (tested before SLAM) 7.2
TA 75
CH (I am fiberglass so I usually add this after water is clear and use the driveway deicer5 ) 80
CYA 60

What suggestions? Could it be a filter particulate issue?

Thank you for any help.

You should be sparkling by now. It does seem like a filtration issue now.

It's time to try Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter and possibly Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter. The sand could be clumped and channeled so that water oasses through without filtering. Don't try adding DE until after you've done the cleaning, because if there are channels, it'll just make it look worse when the DE passes through.

Also do what you can to improve circulation down low so the particles get stirred up and make it into the filter. Try aiming a return jet so it points down into the deep end. Open the main drain or connect the vacuum and set it upside down or sideways so it acts as a main drain.

Okay I need more help.

We cleaned the filter until the water ran clear from the top following the directions on the video. It has been several days with pump running 24 hours and we are still cloudy. we can now see the bottom but it is not crystal clear like I am used to.

I let the chlorine levels drop down from SLAM level to test everything again and here are my current levels.

FC 9
CC 0
PH 7.4
TA 70
CH 80
CYA 60

Any additional advice on the cloudiness. I have not added DE yet b/c not having the time to drive the distance to get any.

I'm assuming I need to take it back to SLAM until the cloudiness is gone? We've been cloudy since 4/20 and SLAMMED until 5/4

Okay I need more help.

We cleaned the filter until the water ran clear from the top following the directions on the video. It has been several days with pump running 24 hours and we are still cloudy. we can now see the bottom but it is not crystal clear like I am used to.

I let the chlorine levels drop down from SLAM level to test everything again and here are my current levels.

FC 9
CC 0
PH 7.4
TA 70
CH 80
CYA 60

Any additional advice on the cloudiness. I have not added DE yet b/c not having the time to drive the distance to get any.

I'm assuming I need to take it back to SLAM until the cloudiness is gone? We've been cloudy since 4/20 and SLAMMED until 5/4
You passed the overnight test multiple times so I think you've just got a filtration issue now. If I were in your shoes, I'd let FC stay at normal levels and hope the DE fixes things. You might be able to find smaller, cheaper packages of cellulose filter media than Diatomaceous Earth.

Houston I think we have lift off finally.

Thank you. We can finally see the complete bottom. Still not a clear and sparkling as we are use to but it is getting there.

We found a missing aluminum telescoping pole in the bottom that could have been the problem. I think also left over dead algae not completely sucked up by vacuum probably because of the pole in the middle of the pool.

Almost so close

Thank you for everything once again.

Houston we have a problem which might be the whole cause.

water levels are still holding and the water is clearer but not anywhere near crystal clear.

I discovered sand in the pool.

Reading the posts it could be a gasket issue or lateral issue. We did move the filter at the end of last season to give us better access to the pump

Or could the sand be in the pool from the deep cleaning of the sand?

What would you do first?

If you have a filtration problem, floc-ing won't help. I suspect there was an issue moving or cleaning the filter. Does the sand collect under the returns or is it scattered throughout?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can attached a neylon knee high to the return. Turn off the pump. Unscrew the eyeball portion and put the nylon over it and push through the eyeball, then attached the unit back to the wall. Make sure there is enough slack that it doesn't get forced off by the water flow. Anything passing through a broken lateral or gasket, etc will be caught in the nylon... you've isolated it to a filtration issue.

Skip the floc won't help.

okay we are fixed and super clear.

We never found a crack or split on the laterals but we were still having sand and cloudiness in the pool. Finally we gave up and scooped out all the sand again and replaced both the laterals and the sand. We are crystal clear.

I believe if I didn't have my dolphin robot I would not have discovered it was sand making it cloudy I would have thought it was still organic even though my test results were saying it wasn't.

just added the calcium and next will be the salt and we are ready to go.

Thanks again everyone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.