Tip for removing stubborn fiber optic wall fitting??

mnvron

Silver Supporter
Sep 28, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have a defunct Fiberstars lighting system in the pool and spa that I will be replacing with a niche-less LED system. I can't get this fitting out from the spa wall. The PVC is just under 2" diameter.

Is there a special tool I should purchase? Local pool store guy didn't know what I was talking about when I mentioned removing an old fiber optic lens fitting. He'd never heard of a pool light that wasn't in a niche. I tried a pair of opened needle-nose pliers but the plastic is very brittle and just started to crack.:(

image.jpg

If anyone can help with a suggestion for how to remove this thing without destroying the wall fitting behind it, I'd be grateful!

Also, I'm looking at the S.R. Smith (formerly Fiberstars) TREO LED retrofit light system to replace the fiber optics. They make a "TREO Micro" light that I was considering of my approximately 550-600 gal. attached spa, while I'll use the regular TREO in the pool. Does anyone have experience using the TREO Micro in a spa, and will it give off enough light for this application? It seemed to me that if the TREO is enough to light the entire pool, then it might be overkill in the spa.

Thanks in advance!

Something like this should work. Adjustable Spanner Wrench

4974391-11.jpg

Reactions: supremepoolsnj
You could also try a heat gun or hot water on it to soften up the PVC may make the needle nose pliers work without chipping the notches.

Wait for more ideas before trying the suggestions below...
As a last resort you could drill a hole in the light and use some JB weld quick to glue a bolt in the hole wait an hour or so and use a wrench to hopefully remove it. As a last last resort drill as big of a hole in the center as you reasonably can with out hitting the wall fitting and remove it bit by bit with the pliers working from the middle out.

Hmmm... Since I don't plan to reuse the fiber optic lens or strands, I may just go for a brute-force attack and break it up if needed. My main concern at this point is to avoid damaging the female threads on the in-wall fitting, as I'll need them for the replacement LED unit.

I just realized I never followed-up on this. I tried the purpose built tool recommended by rccarps2 but the pins bent to about 45 degrees and the fitting didn't budge. After that I got serious. Flat blade screwdriver whacked with a hammer finally got it to start to twist, but it kept hanging up and would jam up again. Along the way I managed to completely mangle the face and threads of the in-wall fitting. Not all bad I guess, since as it turns out, the existing in-wall fittings were 1 1/2" dia. for only about 1 1/2" depth, then they stepped down to the 3/4" conduit size. This means that the fancy S.R. Smith Kelo LED retrofits that I bought won't fit, since they need 3" of 1 1/2" dia. depth in the fitting before it steps down to 3/4" for the cable.

Now I'll be cutting the old fittings out, replacing them, then refinishing the pebbletec finish. Ugh.

Is your plan still to fit the treos in? If so, I’d probably first try to use a masonry bit to hit your 3” requirement inside of the ruined fitting (leave the fitting), and then just silicone the treo in, would that be a no-no? I installed 2 of the treos and was worried about running in to the same problem you are, but I didn’t.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.