Bought house with green pool

May 2, 2016
Marshfield WI
I just bought a house last fall, and the pool was green when I moved in. I winterized the pool green, after spending a lot of money trying to follow the pool store instructions. Now I'm opening my green pool.
Please let me know if I'm going the right direction... I bought the pool testing kit recommended on this site and have the following
CYA less than 20
TA 110
PH more than 8.2
CH 125
FC 0
Based on pool math I just put 62 oz of pool stabilizer in a sock in the skimmer, with filter running.
After 48 hrs I'll retest and get the pH to 7.7. After that I will attempt slamming with liquid chlorine by get FC up 16. Does this sound correct?
I also bought some algaecide (dimethyl a benzyl ammonium chloride), what are the forums' thoughts on using the algaecide to speed up the process?

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on your new pool!

You are on the right track. Nice work! Liquid chlorine or bleach, whichever is most convenient and best deal. LC is usually 10% and bleach is usually 8.25%. Skip the algaecide, contrary to the name, it doesn't kill algae. Many bottles actually admit that on the label. Lower your PH to 7.2 and then SLAM away. Scoop out as much junk as you can with a leaf rake. Brush the pool between testing and dosing more chlorine/bleach.

I forgot to mention... my pool has a Salt Water Generator (Zodiac Clearwater). I don't know if it works. The water is still cold, so I wasn't planning on turning it on until summer and after I manually get the water clean with bleach/liquid chlorine. I noticed the recommended CYA for SWG pools is higher, but since I'm not using the the SWG is it still okay to slam the pool at a CYA of 40? I just want to make sure I don't damage the cell.

First day of slamming my pool. Added the liquid chlorine last night. I have a question on the PoolMath though. My liquid chlorine is Sodium hypochlorite and I don't see that option in the FC options. Its the same as bleach, so I used the handy "Effects of adding chemicals" section at the bottom. Just wondering why Sodium hypo isn't an option in the FC section or if it is the same as a different option.

Thanks... I must of missed that it said bleach right in the text, my mistake.

So I did some testing during my slam:
5/5/2016 6:30am
FC 23
CC 0.5

5/5/2016 11:45am
FC 21
CC 0.5

When I bought the house, the PVC pipe that connects multi-port value to the 8 prong thing in the sand was cracked and all of the sand was missing when I closed it last fall. I replaced the pvc pipe and put new filter sand in the filter. The starting pressure was at 15psi. After 3 days of running and cleaning the pumps skimmer basket, it is still at 15 psi. Any idea how fast the psi should be going up? I just want to make sure my filter is actually filtering. Is there anyway to know if the water is actually going through the sand and that the multi-valve isn't broken?

Does the gauge go to 0 when it's not running? Or a lower number in recirculate?

You could also put some DE in there to see if that makes the pressure go up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Last night I checked the water and it was FC=17 and CC=1. This morning it was still FC=17 and CC=1. I'm assuming that means the algae is dead, but the water is still very green so it must not be filtered out yet. Last fall, based on pool store recommendations, I pumped the pool full of algae killer, power floc, and winterizing chemicals... maybe that killed all the algae. I checked the filter and in the filter position it is at 15psi, in the recirculate position it is at 13psi.

My next plan of action is to try vacuuming the bottom of the pool through the filter, and then put a nylon sock over the skimmer basket. I know the power floc I used last year causes the algae to get heavier to sink to the bottom, is there any issues with putting that through my filter sand? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.