First Time Pool Owner

Apr 16, 2016
Bedford, TX
Hey, TFP! Long-time listener, first time caller. No, but in all seriousness, really glad I found you guys. I'm just about to give up and call a pool guy. I'm at my wit's end. We bought our house in November, covered the pool, put the suggested chlorine in, ran the filter, etc. When I uncovered it three weeks ago, it was like an algae nuclear bomb had gone off. Since then, I've followed the SLAM protocol, and am happy to say that after starting out with ZERO FC and ZERO CYA, I'm at Shock Level for both. The algae is dead, and the vacuum is getting it nicely.

Trouble is, pool still isn't crystal clear yet. I've gotten the FC and CYA levels to a good place in the last 24 hours. Am I just not being patient enough? On top of not knowing what I'm doing, it also rained last night, thwarting whatever progress I had made. Am I hopeless? Do I need to call the pool guy?

FC at last reading (5/2 at 6:00pm): 15
CYA at last reading (5/2 at 6:00m): 45

I'm in North Texas. Any information you guys can provide would be awesome. Thank you in advance!

NOOOOOOO! Don't do it- call the pool guy that is!!

The SLAM does take some patience but you can do it- make sure you are maintaining that shock level of 20 as much as possible- retesting and adding chlorine accordingly. As soon as you let it drop below the algae gets back in. It will also make your SLAM go faster. Make sure your doing all the other key things- brushing, running the pump 24/7 etc.

Agreed. YOU CAN DO IT! The recent rain is really not a big factor. But even for the most stubborn pool, the basic SLAM principles still apply:
- Accurate CYA test that in-turns confirms the correct FC SLAM/Shock level
- Maintaining that proper SLAM/Shock level
- Brushing, sweeping pool
- Backwashing filter when pressure increases 25%
- Checking all items IN the pool (ladder rungs, hollow steps, behind the light niche); those are often hiding spots for algae
- In a pool with no prior history, consider a thorough sand deep cleaning as noted on the Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter page

In short, nothing is better the bleach/chlorine when applied consistently and all the SLAM page items are accomplished. Hang in there!

Welcome! :wave:

I just fielded a similar question, so I'll just copy what I wrote there.

You should be sparkling by now. It's time to try Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter and possibly Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter. The sand could be clumped and channeled so that water passes through without filtering. Don't try adding DE until after you've done the cleaning, because if there are channels, it'll just make it look worse when the DE passes through.

Also do what you can to improve circulation down low so the particles get stirred up and make it into the filter. Try aiming a return jet so it points down into the deep end. Open the main drain or connect the vacuum and set it upside down or sideways so it acts as a main drain.

You guys are awesome! Thanks so much for the quick response and great feedback. Ok, I won't back down! When I tested early this morning before work I didn't lose that much chlorine overnight (thankfully) and am anxiously awaiting testing again when I get home.

FC at last reading (5/3 at 6:00am): 14.5
CYA at last reading (5/3 at 6:00am): 45 (still)

I will take the advice of clearing out the nooks and crannies of the pool; I did notice some algae still gathered around the returns. I also looked at the pool math and will add 3 more gallons of bleach this afternoon (assuming I haven't lost any FC between 6am and 4:30ish).

One thing that does confuse me a bit about the SLAM Process...when is the best time to vacuum? Before adding bleach? After?

And Richard320, I will look into the filter at some point before Friday. I really appreciate your tips and am frustrated I'm not crystal clear yet! STILL IN CODE
GREEN/BLUE!
Will update later today!

Man you guys know what you're talking about! CYA level was stable (I know, I didn't need to check it again). The FC was also stable when I got home from work at 14.5. I cleared off any remaining algae particles that I could see from every nook and cranny, pointed the returns down to the ground (almost saw immediate results) and dumped the bleach that the pool calculator told me to dump into the pool. When I left this morning and tested the pool the FC was up to 18! Pool was a LITTLE clearer, but I think at this point, Richard320 is right; there must be something going on with the filter, unless I just can't follow directions.

I have two kinds of vacuums; the Dolphin Natulus and the Baracuda G3 vacuum that uses the inlet from the pump. Since the pool is not as clear as I think it is, other than the filter, would that be because I'm not getting ALL of the crud on the bottom of the pool? What's the best way to attack that stuff? I've tried everything!

Need to be patient and persistent at this point. SLAM is a process that works and is not the same as the typical pool guys' "shock and pray" methods. Stick with testing your FC/CC. Maintain your shock level FC as much as you can. Brush, brush, brush and did I mention BRUSH! Use the pool cleaners to help you out as well. It's like novacaine. Just give it time, it always works.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When I left this morning and tested the pool the FC was up to 18! Pool was a LITTLE clearer, but I think at this point, Richard320 is right; there must be something going on with the filter, unless I just can't follow directions.

I want to make sure you are maintaining a level of 20. The more consistently your FC level is above 20 the quicker the SLAM will go!

Alright guys and gals,

A lot has happened since my last post. I got the FC to 20 and it's remaining there nicely. CYA is still hovering around 50.

I tried both the hand held vacuum and the dolphin, and there just is more debris in the pool than I had originally thought there was. Anything I can do about this?

ALSO. After taking Richard320's advice I decided to open the filter. I listened to my brother in law who told me my pool filter is sand. It's not. It's DE Cartridges. I cleaned that out and put it back on. The water is NICE and blue but it's still CLOUDY!!! I'm getting so frustrated!

One thing's for sure. Now you need to update the filter type in your signature. :) Hopefully you had no problems getting the DE grids/manifolds reassembled and recharged? Cloudiness is that ever-frustrating time frame for some pools where the amount of organic material is overwhelming either the bleach, filter, or both. If there is still "debris" that is overwhelming your vacuum capabilities, I can almost guarantee that is a big part of your problem. The bleach will do its job on the algae, but can't do much about solids that are continuously breaking down. That's where vacuuming, brushing, and sweeping come into play. You have vinyl so you have to be careful, but some people will use something, almost like a squeege on a long pole, to pull debris up close enough to be manually scooped out. Getting that junk out of there has to be a priority.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.