New Season, Old Problems! Staining...

Aug 4, 2014
San Diego, CA
Hi, I have been using the BBB method for the last two summers and overall it's done a good job of keeping algae away. I have been using a combination of bleach and triclor tablets for chlorination. However, I have always had a problem with yellow/green staining of the entire plaster surface of the IG pool. Vitamin C tablets on the stain makes it go away locally. I did the procedure mentioned here on TFP involving a few pounds of vitamin C powder, and it worked at first...but the stain just reappeared over the coming weeks. Even with liberal use of sequestrant. This has been very frustrating, and am at the point of draining the pool and hiring someone to acid wash and take care of it.

As of today, coming out of the winter here in San Diego, here are my numbers:

pH: 8.0
FC: 8.0
CC: 0.0
CYA: >100, maybe 150
CH: 360
TA: 120
Temp: 68F
TDS: 2000
Iron: 0ppm
Copper: The test strips were mostly useless but seemed to indicate I have less than 1ppm of copper
Pool: 15k gal IG plaster, DE filter, water is 2yrs old

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the stain and more importantly keep it from coming back? I am considering draining the pool to get the CYA, CH, and TDS numbers down, but I don't want to go through that expense unless it will help with my staining problem.

Here is a pic that shows what I mean. It is looking down into the water at my step. You will see a yellowish/greenish stain that is the bane of my existence. :evil:

Thanks for anything you are able to suggest to help!

IMG_0125.jpg

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Your pH is too high! Lower it and keep it lowered.....down to about 7.4 and then KEEP it there.

If you'll do that, I'll bet your staining issues will be dramatically reduced.

Hi, I have been using the BBB method for the last two summers and overall it's done a good job of keeping algae away. I have been using a combination of bleach and triclor tablets for chlorination. However, I have always had a problem with yellow/green staining of the entire plaster surface of the IG pool. Vitamin C tablets on the stain makes it go away locally. I did the procedure mentioned here on TFP involving a few pounds of vitamin C powder, and it worked at first...but the stain just reappeared over the coming weeks. Even with liberal use of sequestrant. This has been very frustrating, and am at the point of draining the pool and hiring someone to acid wash and take care of it.

As of today, coming out of the winter here in San Diego, here are my numbers:

pH: 8.0
FC: 8.0
CC: 0.0
CYA: >100, maybe 150
CH: 360
TA: 120
Temp: 68F
TDS: 2000
Iron: 0ppm
Copper: The test strips were mostly useless but seemed to indicate I have less than 1ppm of copper
Pool: 15k gal IG plaster, DE filter, water is 2yrs old

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the stain and more importantly keep it from coming back? I am considering draining the pool to get the CYA, CH, and TDS numbers down, but I don't want to go through that expense unless it will help with my staining problem.

Here is a pic that shows what I mean. It is looking down into the water at my step. You will see a yellowish/greenish stain that is the bane of my existence. :evil:

Thanks for anything you are able to suggest to help!

Welcome to TFP :)

I see you have been reading the site for a while so you know some of what we recommend and that is good.. Please do the extended CYA test, use 1 quart pool water and 1 quart tap water mixed together and then test your CYA, that will give us a better idea of where your CYA is.

If your CYA is 120 (just an example) your FC minimum would be 9 and your daily target would be 14, it goes much higher if your CYA is really 150

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.