My Previous Pool - Alarming Thoughts

IrwinK

Apr 25, 2016
Orlando, FL
I'm half way through construction of my new pool:
New Pool - Orlando Florida

Haven't thought about my previous one in many years until now and realize I was very lucky that I survived using Tri-Clor Tabs in chlorinator for 7 yrs. without testing CYA or draining water and never had problems with Algae.

Pool was built in 1993 and house was sold in 2000. So it's been 16 yrs. since I had a pool. During the 7 yrs. I owned the pool recall testing the water with a simple test kit every week, I didn't visit a pool store, cleaned cartridge filter regularly and all I ever added was Ph Increaser. IG Pool was screened, in SW Florida, approx 15,000 gal and had a spa with overflow.

CYA levels must have been through the roof after 7 yrs! There was no TFP then and I didn't know anything about CYA.

Any ideas why no Algae?

The pool did not have a overflow pipe. Never overflowed. It's been a long time but recall adding water every few days from evaporation. When there was a big rain I let the water level remain high until evaporation brought it down. I remember keeping chlorine levels moderate and did increase them occasionally with a packaged shock treatment. I think pool was using about 2 tablets per week as I bought a 50 lb. bucket every year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.