OK, TFP family. Help a brother out

DontFillitin

Platinum Supporter
May 7, 2015
Birmingham/AL
I didn't have this issue last year because by the time I found you guys I had already put like 11tybillion pounds of shock in the pool, and cya didn't have to be adjusted. This year it is at 0, and I have to SLAM. I noticed that I'm supposed to run the pump for 24 hours, and I can't do that because the pump basket clogs up within an hour of running, and it also says not to backwash, which means I can't vacuum to waste, right? So what do I do here?!?

If your water is full of junk, it's okay to do some initial backwashing to waste. In fact, that's probably best to not clog-up the filter too fast with muck at the bottom. After that, you can start on recycle mode just to help get the bleach going, but eventually you'll need to let the bleach go to filter mode. Definitely try to remove as much physical junk as you can first.

Before you do that though ..... no CYA at all? Water green/algae? You might have ammonia by now so be careful to not add CYA just yet. You might want to test simply by trying to take FC up to about 10. After 10 minutes, if it's below an FC of 5, you have ammonia and need to keep raising it every 10 minutes until the FC holds at 5 or more. THEN you can add stabilizer for a target of 30 ppm and officially start the SLAM. If this doesn't make sense, let us know.

I didn't have this issue last year because by the time I found you guys I had already put like 11tybillion pounds of shock in the pool, and cya didn't have to be adjusted. This year it is at 0, and I have to SLAM. I noticed that I'm supposed to run the pump for 24 hours, and I can't do that because the pump basket clogs up within an hour of running, and it also says not to backwash, which means I can't vacuum to waste, right? So what do I do here?!?
Slow down... breathe....

For starters, if the pool is a green sludgy mess and all your CYA disappeared, it may have broken down over the winter into Ammonia. More on that later.

Second, if you do add CYA using the sock method we recommend, you can backwash to your heart's content because the granules aren't in the filter to get flushed away.

attachment.php

Third, vacuum to waste takes the filter right out of the system. The water enters the pump, hits the multiport valve, and gets sent out the backwash pipe/hose. If the pump basket loads up, it's not a big deal to knock it clean. Or buy a leaf canister that sits inline in the vacuum hose and catches that stuff before it gets to the pump. You don't have to worry about clogging a pipe underground that way, either.

meatloaf-VacLeafCanister.jpg

Back to Ammonia....
1. Begin a SLAM and dose FC up to SLAM level. Do not add additional CYA at this point. With zero CYA, SLAM level is 10 FC. Make a lap around the pool with the brush to get it all mixed really well.
2. Retest FC at 10-minute intervals.
a. If FC loss is greater than 50%, Hold on right here. Post the FC & CC results in this thread. Someone can tell you if it looks like Ammonia or not, and if it's going to be more cost-effective to drain and refill than to treat it. If you DO have Ammonia, I'd lean towards draining, since you will be losing so much water already vacuuming to waste. It will take massive amounts of bleach to neutralize Ammonia.

attachment.php

We now return to the cut-n-paste Ammonia Treatment.
add FC to bring back up to SLAM level and continue retesting FC @ 10-minute intervals.
b. IF FC loss is 50% or less, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level. Go to Step 3.
3. If CYA is below 30 ppm, add enough CYA to bring level up to 30 ppm.
4. Continue SLAM as directed in the SLAM article until the SLAM Criteria of Done are met. Test as directed in the SLAM article - no longer need to test FC at 10 minute increments at this point.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just checked again to be safe. 12 and 1!

So, back to the run pump for 24 hours... I'm scared to do it because I don't have a way to keep the pump basket from clogging up. If I add cyan and shut it off what will my problem be? Should I add cyan to a jug and let it dissolve, and then put it in the pool when I get home tomorrow?

- - - Updated - - -

LOL! I think you are safe.

Wiping the sweat from my brow!

Just checked again to be safe. 12 and 1!

So, back to the run pump for 24 hours... I'm scared to do it because I don't have a way to keep the pump basket from clogging up. If I add cyan and shut it off what will my problem be? Should I add cyan to a jug and let it dissolve, and then put it in the pool when I get home tomorrow?
Hang a sockful of CYA off a pole or something in front of a return. Then no matter what's going on with the pump and filter, it's staying wet and dissolving and it's in no danger of backflushing away.

No backhoe but what about a plastic leaf rake?

I am glad we saved you from being dead so early in the year! LOL got to keep you around for comic relief! :jocolor:

I am glad to hear it is heading in the right direction. Just think how far ahead you are this time from the first time!

Kim:cat:

Glad I'm good for something! Yeah, no need for the leaf rake (it and the leaf eater were on hand if needed) because there are no leaves this time! SO FAR ahead of last year. I tested the chlorine this morning and let the pump run for an hour or so while we got ready for school/work. It was STILL 12 and 1! I'm going to try to go home at lunch and test and add bleach if needed. I have to go to the pool store and get a vacuum head and a new brush. Walmart is getting an earful about me having to fish theirs out. Not once, but twice!

Being I held FC so well, what are the chances that the R-0013 shelf life is up? I stored everything in a "safe" place in my bedroom closet, but it just has me wondering.... At the same time, I have put a few jugs of bleach in in the last few weeks, while running on recirc even before taking the cover off.... opinions?

I am almost out of it anyway, may just order a bottle anyway

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.