Heavy Residue in (IG cement) Spa, How to get it out?

jbailey895

Apr 25, 2016
Carlsbad, CA
I did some heavy construction on a patio adjacent to my pool last month, and demo'd a lot of saltillo tiles. Unfortunately, a lot of that dust went into the pool and spa. The spa is closer to the patio area, so it got a lot of dirt/dust in it. I have a Hayward poolvac for the pool, and it seemed to survive pretty well.

I completely cleaned my filter last weekend, and the grids held up OK, but I still have a lot of debris in the spa. Any suggestions for cleaning the silt/saltillo dust out of the spa, without ruining my DE filter again? I tried a little sump pump I had from my pool cover, but it didn't work too well. I guess I should have used the pool vac in the spa BEFORE I cleaned the filter again, but kinda forgot.

Any suggestions on how to clean the debris out of the spa?

thanks,
Joel

I am confused why you think the dust would damage the DE filter? Isn't that the job of the filter?

I would just put the suction on the spa and brush it into the drain.

I am confused why you think the dust would damage the DE filter? Isn't that the job of the filter?

I would just put the suction on the spa and brush it into the drain.
Great minds think alike!

I'd set the valves to empty the spa into the pool and brush the stuff into the drain. If, however, you're talking about an inch thick layer or something... empty the spa down as low as you dare and climb in with a wet-n-dry shop vacuum and remove the layer of sludge that way.

Thanks guys, the saltillo dust coated my DE filter pretty heavily, so I was hoping to try to avoid it again, since the spa is in a limited space, I think I'll get in there with the pump again (don't have a wet/dry vac, but that would work too I'm sure) and see if I can get a decent amount out, then I'll use the filter for the rest. I appreciate the input,

Joel

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.