Low Pressure

RSAnative

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 26, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Happy Pool Opening Season!

I noticed the pressure on my filter was low, below 10, so I took apart the system and cleaned out the filters (cartridges) and cleaned them as they were pretty dirty. Put it all back together but alas, the pressure is still low. Any thoughts here? Is low not a big problem? The return lines seem to be blasting fine.

Normally you would think dirty filters would increase pressure. I would relate low pressure to something like no filters inside the housing (no resistance) or low flow (pressure) to the filter itself from the pump. But return jet output pressure seems good huh? Perhaps the gauge itself is beginning to fail and just now showing some indications this new season?

Ok. Thanks. Is there way to test the gauge?
Does it go to zero when the pump is off? If no, it's bad. It can still be bad if it froze over the winter even if it does go to zero.

A suction side air leak, even one caused by low water level or a stuck skimmer weir can give you low pressure. Are there a lot of bubbles inside the pump strainer basket when it's running?

It goes to zero when the pumps off. No air leaks that I can see. When it's running the pump basket is clear of bubbles. I did notice something else; When I bleed the air on the top of the filter, it definitely doesn't sound like it's high pressure and then once the water comes out it immediately starts to flow slower coming out of the bleeder.

You may have a partially blocked impeller. Remove the pump basket and feel inside the opening at the bottom of the pump housing. Remove any debris that may be stuck in there.

It is possible because something could have gotten stuck in the vanes. Given you pulled something out of the inlet, there is a good chance there is something stuck in the impeller vanes too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are four bolts that hold the motor mounting plate to the wet end. Remove those four bolts and slide the motor backwards. The impeller will be attached to the motor shaft. You can then inspect and clear out any debris. It would be a good time to inspect the seal (without removing impeller) and any gaskets for cracks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.