Waterway Sand Filter Problem

Mar 16, 2009
Manitoba, Canada
I have a brand new Waterway Carefree sand filter (well, not brand new, but never been used). I just got it set up and filled the pool to the skimer to test it out. When I set the valve to Filter, I get a fair amount of water going to Waste as well as to the pool. Guy at the pool store said it needed a new divertor gasket, could that be right? This filter has never been used and looks brand new, why would the gasket be bad. He also said they recommend buying the divertor as well because it comes from the factory with the gasket glued on. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

The gasket he is talking about is in the main valve, typically a rotary valve that allows you to select filter, backwash, waste, circulate, etc, though some of them are push/pull valves with only two positions. Often this valve is replaced when the filter is replaced, but you could still have the old valve.

If the valve was replaced along with the filter, then the installer should take care of it for free. If you still have your old valve then the gasket should be replaced, which is simple enough and probably something you could do yourself if you feel up to it.

I'm pretty sure the valve is new as well, but I could be wrong, I got everything from the guy that I bought the pool from.

JasonLion said:
If the valve was replaced along with the filter, then the installer should take care of it for free.

I am the installer, so yes, I will be doing it for free. :wink:

Any chance it could be an install problem, and not the gasket?

Inside a rotary multi-position main valve there is a gasket, many people call it a spider gasket, that keeps the valve sealed. This gasket should be fully seated in it's channel and free of any nicks or cuts. Most pool stores will carry replacements, though you need to know the exact model number of the valve.

A torn spider gasket will allow the valve to leak internally and water will come out the waste pipe. There are also other things that can cause the same symptoms, though they are less likely. The spring that applies pressure to the spider gasket can break, or the main rotary assembly inside the valve can break. All of this can usually be determined quite easily once you have the cover off the valve and take a look inside.

None of these issues are normally caused by mistakes during the install. The valve can break when it is dropped, but valves are fairly sturdy and breaking them is very rare. The most common install problems are leaks at the pipe joints or accidentally gluing the entire rotary assembly to the case so it won't turn.

Thanks. I'll take it apart today and have a look.

JasonLion said:
The most common install problems are leaks at the pipe joints

Yep, found that out very quickly. Another mistake is not putting a shutoff valve by the skimmer. Had to drain some water from the pool to fix my leaks. I tried to use all the plumbing/fittings that came with my used pool, and had to pretty much redo it all. :rant:

I had to replace a MPV on my Waterway DE Filter due to an equipment change. I ordered straight from the factory and it arrived missing the spider gasket completely. No glue marks, nothing, it was never installed. They air couriered one out to me.

Well, I'm still having problems with my filter. I replaced the spider gasket even though the old one looked fine. I still have dirt coming into the pool thru the return when I vacuum, and water leaking to the backwash hose when filtering. My pool is clear until the kids go swimming, then they stir up all the dirt at the bottom and it gets cloudy.

I suspect now that it's because there is not enough pressure to push the gasket down. I took everything apart and lubed everything. The handle seems to work well (springs back up after I push it down) until I put the lid back on the filter and screw it down. After that, the handle tends to stay down (not spring back up like it should). In other words, I push the handle down, turn it to whatever position I want it to be at, but the handle does not spring back to push the gasket down. I am going back to the pool store today to look at a new valve assembly to make sure mines pu together right, but I think it is.

Any ideas?

UPDATE: I went to the pool store and inspected a new lid assembly. It looks exactly like mine, so I know mine is put together right. I took it apart again (twice) to try and figure it out, but still have the same issues. I'm thinking of buying the whole lid assembly new, but am worried it still won't work. Is it possible that it could be the valve assembly, that for some reason isn't letting the gasket seal properly?

Re: Waterway Sand Filter Problem - Warped Valve Assembly

Well, I figured I would finish off this thread in case anyone else has the same problem. My filter problems (leaking to backwash when on filter mode, dirt coming back into the pool) were due to a warped valve assembly. If the surface that the spider gasket contacts with is not straight/level, it won't seal properly. Apparently this can happen if you have a heater and leave the heater running when the pump is off. The HOT water can do significant damage. I don't have a heater, but the previous owner of the pool/filter did. He was not using this filter when I bought the pool, he claimed it was "new" and it did look new, inside and out. The only way that I could see it wasn't new was when I took everything apart, and there were wear marks on the spring. I think he either wrecked it himself, or bought it from someone else thinking it was new. Or, the valve assembly was defective from the factory???

BOTTOM LINE, if you have symptoms that are usually diagnosed as a bad spider gasket or worn/broken spring, 90% of the time it probably is one of those things, but it could also be the valve assembly itself ( the part that sits on the filter with the in/out/waste ports).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool store gave me a good price on the whole assembly, including new valve, so I replaced it all. Just did it last night, no more water out the backwash hose, I guess we'll see over the next while if it totally fixed the issue with the dirt going back into the pool. I do suspect that my pump is oversized for my filter (1hp single speed pump, 19" filter with 100 lbs of sand). From reading other posts it looks like that could be an issue as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.